• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bringing in an outside bunny

I'm sure someone with more experience will come along soon, but I'm pretty sure if your buns are outside, they shouldn't be brought in as the temp difference can be dangerous. I think you can do it if you plan do do it permanently - but not sure how you go about it now they have winter coats.

It depends on the circumstances and how long you intend to keep them in. Can you explain more what you mean?

Just feel so bad cause poor Bramble is outside all alone :( So tempted to bring him in.

Would love to get him nutered and get him a friend, but just simply cannot afford it at the moment. I always find it hard in the winter.

If you wanted to bring him in until the warmer weather then that would be awesome.

But bringing him in and putting him out daily would not be ideal.

I have two puppy pens joined together around the patio at the moment, but if Bramble wanted to go outside I would need them. Where do the grids come from please?

NIC grids would be best. I'd only use dog crates if he's going to not be in there for very long. With NIC grids you can make it as large as you want.

Dog crate in combo with puppy pen I think is best if you don't want to go down the free-ranging route. This way you have space on top of the crate to put supplies and even do a cosy shelf but with the space of a puppy pen. I feel that the crate gives them an enclosed space in case they get a bit scared.

My lops have a crate even though they free-range. My lionheads don't, they free-range too but they have a table butted against two walls instead to give them an enclosed space to hide in.

Grids are from Amazon or Ebay (search mesh storage cubes). I personally prefer these for bunny-proofing myself, than a permanent enclosure but they are flexible with regards to what you can do with them and they store away in a small place in case you decide to put him out again next summer.

Last edited:
Just edited my post cos I managed to make it sound like my lionheads only have a table sized area to run around in! :shock:

At the moment I have a tumble dryer in the kitchen (you're wondering where this is going aren't you?), but was thinking of putting it in the outbuilding as it steams up the windows! There will then be a nice space under the worktop......I'm thinking a possible bunny space?? Wondered if I could make him a little hidey hole under there and let him free range the kitchen when we aren't here, and then the rest of the house when we are home?

Would need a baby gate for the kitchen. Which is the best sort to get? Bramble is quite a small bunny, so he would be able to get through some of the gaps on some I would think. :lol:

You can get the grids from b&q and wickes i got mine from wickes got 16 squares for £15 and made a 2 level home for my baby bunny if you get 2 boxes you can make a really big home for your bunny :)

I don't think all B&Q's do them. I looked in B&Q for some and they looked at me funny. Must've gone down on Wickes since I got them cos I remember looking there and thinking 'oh expensive'.

As a guide, for our previous 5 x 2.5 x 2.5 foot home I used 32 (+ 2 for a shelf). That was with a lid.

Back