• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Back from the vets

Domino27

Mama Doe
Well both have mites, vet didn't need to do a paper test as both had a lot of dandruff at the nape of their neck. Gave them both an injection and I'm going back in a week's time.

Hutch has been disinfected, hay thrown out and litter tray also bleached and scrubbed.

How long do these little things live for??!

Well both have mites, vet didn't need to do a paper test as both had a lot of dandruff at the nape of their neck. Gave them both an injection and I'm going back in a week's time.

Hutch has been disinfected, hay thrown out and litter tray also bleached and scrubbed.

How long do these little things live for??!

They often exist on buns anyway but at levels controlled by their immune system. It's only when too many for bun to cope with (infested hay) or bun's immune system is weakened that they become a problem. A good hutch clean and new hay is all you can do, you can never eradicate them completely, just reduce the load in the environment so bun can get back on top of them again. I trust both your buns have been health checked at the same time to look for any underlying condition/illness that might have precipitated this mite infection on their coats?

They often exist on buns anyway but at levels controlled by their immune system. It's only when too many for bun to cope with (infested hay) or bun's immune system is weakened that they become a problem. A good hutch clean and new hay is all you can do, you can never eradicate them completely, just reduce the load in the environment so bun can get back on top of them again. I trust both your buns have been health checked at the same time to look for any underlying condition/illness that might have precipitated this mite infection on their coats?

Ah I see, well I've done that so finger's crossed they'll go back to normal levels soon.

Vet wasn't my usual one so no they weren't checked at the same time. They don't have runny noses though or eyes, both potter about as normal and bite my hands off for food so for me they're fine. She's obviously just a bit sore where she had scratched so much it was bleeding a little. He only has a bit at the moment so I'm thinking it was from the hay I bought at a different shop the other week.

Ah I see, well I've done that so finger's crossed they'll go back to normal levels soon.

Vet wasn't my usual one so no they weren't checked at the same time. They don't have runny noses though or eyes, both potter about as normal and bite my hands off for food so for me they're fine. She's obviously just a bit sore where she had scratched so much it was bleeding a little. He only has a bit at the moment so I'm thinking it was from the hay I bought at a different shop the other week.

:shock: Poor little girl, did the vet give you anything to apply to her wound?
I could be wrong but I would use some Manuka Honey on it.

:shock: Poor little girl, did the vet give you anything to apply to her wound?
I could be wrong but I would use some Manuka Honey on it.

Tbh she's done a good job at cleaning it herself and he was having a go at it this afternoon. There's no hole or anything just a bit of raw skin. I'm going to keep an eye on it obviously but she's ok for the time being.

Poor little girl though :cry:

I never threw away our hay when ours got mites. I don't think ours were from hay though cos they'd had symptoms for about 2-3 weeks and in that time I'd used hay from an old bale and hay from a new bale. Also my other two have the same hay and were fine. I think mine had had them for a while but were keeping them under control, then two vaccinations in two and a half weeks upset their immune system long enough for them to get worse and be an issue

There is xeno 200 spray which you can use but I wouldn't if yours are getting injections as it's the same stuff and might overdose them.

I never threw away our hay when ours got mites. I don't think ours were from hay though cos they'd had symptoms for about 2-3 weeks and in that time I'd used hay from an old bale and hay from a new bale. Also my other two have the same hay and were fine. I think mine had had them for a while but were keeping them under control, then two vaccinations in two and a half weeks upset their immune system long enough for them to get worse and be an issue
There is xeno 200 spray which you can use but I wouldn't if yours are getting injections as it's the same stuff and might overdose them.

What happened to them??

What happened to them??

You mean the mites? They just caused some scaly skin on the back of their necks. A little itching but not loads. Mine have had one Ivermectin injection and a spray over with that spray a week later and it's getting better but hasn't gone completely yet.

You mean the mites? They just caused some scaly skin on the back of their necks. A little itching but not loads. Mine have had one Ivermectin injection and a spray over with that spray a week later and it's getting better but hasn't gone completely yet.

Ah I see, I've read your other post properly now!! :roll:

I feel a little bad because I noticed a bit of skin AGES ago on her but I couldn't see anything else so I picked that off her fur and left it... :shock:

I've never had so many problems with a bun before :( oh well!

Ah I see, I've read your other post properly now!! :roll:

I feel a little bad because I noticed a bit of skin AGES ago on her but I couldn't see anything else so I picked that off her fur and left it... :shock:

I've never had so many problems with a bun before :( oh well!

Aw don't feel bad. It's something I've suspected for ages but they have never showed symptoms of until their immune systems took a hit after their jabs. You noticed it when it became an issue and have dealt with it. As prettylupin said they can have them and have no issues until the numbers get too high for them to deal with on their own.

Can I just say that your Domino is cute as a button! :love:

Nino is also called Domino - but we never call him it :oops: RSPCA named him.. we joke it's his stud name so only to be used for special occasions! :lol:

So hello from one Domino to another :wave:

Can I just say that your Domino is cute as a button! :love:

Nino is also called Domino - but we never call him it :oops: RSPCA named him.. we joke it's his stud name so only to be used for special occasions! :lol:

So hello from one Domino to another :wave:

Thanks!! She acts more like a cat tbh...

Aw don't feel bad. It's something I've suspected for ages but they have never showed symptoms of until their immune systems took a hit after their jabs. You noticed it when it became an issue and have dealt with it. As prettylupin said they can have them and have no issues until the numbers get too high for them to deal with on their own.

Thanks, I had a good root through today and I definitely saw little white things crawling on her skin as well as one's stuck to the ends of their fur. Gave them both a good brush and picked out as many as I could, lol like looking for nits on a kid!!

They can't be that bothered about them as Paddy did a binky today when I'd finished grooming them and put them in their run outside. He's a heavy bun so I'm always happy when he binks as it takes a lot of effort! :love:

Thanks, I had a good root through today and I definitely saw little white things crawling on her skin as well as one's stuck to the ends of their fur. Gave them both a good brush and picked out as many as I could, lol like looking for nits on a kid!!

They can't be that bothered about them as Paddy did a binky today when I'd finished grooming them and put them in their run outside. He's a heavy bun so I'm always happy when he binks as it takes a lot of effort! :love:

You can't see mites without a microscope so if you can see something it's probably not them. :)

You can't see mites without a microscope so if you can see something it's probably not them. :)

Yeah I thought that too, they're tiny little white things, size of , Poss. Maybe lice then?? The dandruff's there though and only at base of neck.

Back