• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit drinking own wee?

bunny mad lisa

Mama Doe
hi
I recently rescued a 1 year old bunny from a rescue centre. I was told that she does drink alot but was healthy and a dip test had been done on her wee which was o.k.
Since i've had her she does indeed drink a bowl of water a day and wee's alot and won't seem to stick to her litter trays. When she was in a small enclosure(before bonding) she used her litter trays more but now she is in a bigger place she wee's everywhere and the cage is wet every day!

I saw her this morning wee, then turn round and drink it. Is this normal or could it be a sign of a health issue? I have known a rabbit to do it before and she did have health issues.

PM Thumps if she doesn't see this thread. Thumps used to drink his own wee - something he had learnt to do to preserve his hydration in absence of being able to drink water and his dental issues predominantly. :wave:

bisc did this when he was ill. he was weeing all the time, drinking upto 7 bowls of water a day! :shock: and drinking his wee aswell.

he had blood tests, urine tests, xrays, to rule things out to do with stones, kidney problems, UTI's etc, but they were all ok.

turns out it was dental and respiratory problem related, both at the same time.

:wave:

I only have ever seen Twinkle drink her wee when she was ill in statis... she does still drink a lot now compared to my other bunnies but doesnt drink her wee.

i have a renal bunny so did consider this but as she is only 1 year old thought it wasn't as likely. She came origionally through the RSPCA so I am trying to find out some history on her incase she was ill as a baby. I presume her teeth were checked when she was spayed a few months back at the rescue but as this is what she normally does but will check that too.

she seems very healthy, a good weight and eats very well.

going to take her for a check up and was hoping to get a urine sample but as she doesn't know me to well thats has been impossible!!

any other imput on what might be wrong would be appreciated!

I've heard of bunnies doing it when their body temp is low, and with the urine being warm, they drink it to keep their body temp up. So maybe providing warm water and a snugglesafe may be worthwhile to rule that out.

:wave: No idea but, found it interesting, I was just pondering whether there is a lack of something that is being replaced by the urine, given they excrete calcium in urine?? Sorry not much help but, just thinking out loud. Oh and of course I hope it's nothing serious :)

going to take her for a check up and was hoping to get a urine sample but as she doesn't know me to well thats has been impossible!!

any other imput on what might be wrong would be appreciated!

How about a litter tray with no litter in, so when she urinates you can scoop it up.

My Vin drank her wee when she was very ill with EC. The vet said it was possibly because she knew she was ill as we couldn't find any other reason for it.

As she is a newcomer it could be behavioral - ie she is trying to 'cover her tracks' and not leave 'evidence' of her presence.

Back