• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sedation- Quick Response needed please

rachylou

Warren Veteran
Jimby may have to have his teeth burred tomorrow. He has had them done consiously about 5 times now, it was only the last time he did not tolerate it and they ended up nicking his little gum/lip but he was ok.
The spurs are very tiny so our vet said he will probably need sedation.
What sort of sedation are there? Obvioulsy we do not want a full on anastetic (Read Jimby not well thread) as that really messed him up last time, so are there light sedations which would not affect gut motility?

Last edited:
pearl had one that didn't put her to sleep but calmed her enough for x-rays :D still the same drill tho, consent forms, dropping at vets at 8.30 am picking up in the evening but she was too poorly with an unknown illness at the time to be knocked out properly

pearl had one that didn't put her to sleep but calmed her enough for x-rays :D still the same drill tho, consent forms, dropping at vets at 8.30 am picking up in the evening but she was too poorly with an unknown illness at the time to be knocked out properly

:shock: My baby, he would be so scared.
Did it affect Pearl's tummy?

no she never had tummy issues tho.

alvin has had a full GA twice now and amazingly both times his tummy was not affected :s he has also moved house with no ill effect :s

i have no idea what is classed as stress to these little demons..

with the drugs and patience you'll get your little man thro what ever comes in the next few days tho hun, youve done it before and you will again xxxxx

i know i always think Alvin will die the second he stops eating so i know how scared you are, hes still here and so is Jimby :D

no she never had tummy issues tho.

alvin has had a full GA twice now and amazingly both times his tummy was not affected :s he has also moved house with no ill effect :s

i have no idea what is classed as stress to these little demons..

with the drugs and patience you'll get your little man thro what ever comes in the next few days tho hun, youve done it before and you will again xxxxx

i know i always think Alvin will die the second he stops eating so i know how scared you are, hes still here and so is Jimby :D

Aww Donna that nearly made me cry! :oops: Thankyou so much for your support I really need and apriciate it.
He is my baby and I could not go on without him so he HAS to get through this, he is a baby and he should have MANY years ahead of him yet.
I am so worried about him and keep comparing this time to all the other times and am worried as he is not eating all the veg I give him and seems to be on and off his treats which is not normal even when he is unwell :( Hubby keeps saying 'he will be fine, it just takes time, we have been here before you know he goes up and down'
Which I know is true but I am still worried sick :cry:

i think we forget the past times all too quick.. every time its the last and every time they get better :oops:

you know deep down hes actually doing really well considering his tum is all stopped again :cry:, and it takes weeks to go back to normal... logic dont come into it tho does it :(

if you can get branches of plants he loves (hawthorn, bramble, apple) that should help keep the fibre up now all the leaves are dead... winter is terrifying me with Alvins tum not getting his wild foods but i gave them some cooking apple tree branches last night and he totally stripped the branch bare :shock:

Jimby WILL be ok, hes got you looking out for him and the perfect bunwife to get better for :D

i think we forget the past times all too quick.. every time its the last and every time they get better :oops:

you know deep down hes actually doing really well considering his tum is all stopped again :cry:, and it takes weeks to go back to normal... logic dont come into it tho does it :(

if you can get branches of plants he loves (hawthorn, bramble, apple) that should help keep the fibre up now all the leaves are dead... winter is terrifying me with Alvins tum not getting his wild foods but i gave them some cooking apple tree branches last night and he totally stripped the branch bare :shock:

Jimby WILL be ok, hes got you looking out for him and the perfect bunwife to get better for :D

Aww thankyou!!

I just gave him some fresh herbs and he ate some, also gave him a tummy rub and he is now having a drink. We were going to try syring feeding again before hubby went to sleep but as he has eaten something even though he does not want any more right now it is probably best not to stress him out.
I have a 'Blackberry Waldo Tree out the front, can he have the branches of those?
I am worried I will have to try and perswade them to take Cookie in with him tomorrow. I will not allow them to be seperated, they are a happily married couple! :D

Back