• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sawdust alternatives

MilosMummy

Mama Doe
I have had Milo on sawdust for the last few week (I know its bad) but as of tomorrow I want to stop. What does everyone else put in their bunnies cage/hutch. Am I right that I can put newspaper on the bottom and then cover that with straw? This is only where he is overnight and as a base for his litter and water during the day. Other times he has free range of the living room and a box (where he likes to nap) with a nice soft mat/blanket.

I use aubiose.
It's something like 4x more absorbent than wood shavings and 12x more than stray, excellent for getting rid of any smells (I use it for mice too), really cheap (I got a huge sack for a tenner) and it decomposes relatively quickly as well so good for composting if you do that.

hemcore is the same thing but has citronella so if it's just for bunny litter trays you could consider that, but I personally wouldn't use it for a whole hutch.

eta: totally side tracked there wasn't i? If it's just for his bed then newspaper covered with straw is fine :)

I have a blanket in his dog crate that he digs in, but never lies on, he prefers the plastic! I then have litter and hay in his litter tray.

I use megazorb for the litter tray, dust extracted wood chip stuff for the lining of the bed and I line the rest of the cage with lino and/or carpet. I also put lots of straw in the bed area too. ;)

I just use newspaper and hay in his litter-bowl, and straw downstairs in the hutch for cosiness. I don't have newspaper other than for his loo, as he tends to eat it. I did originally use sawdust, but when I read about it's possible negative effects I stopped.

I use megazorb covered with straw and then hay on top for the litter trays (I use the big under bed storage boxes), although most prefer to use the shed floors as their toilets:roll:

Megazorb and hay in litter tray - no newspaper (a) don't need it as boxes just get tipped on compost on allotment and (b) Mischa digs to try and reach it :roll:. As for the rest of the room, it's lino with the odd 'soft place'.

Thank you everyone :) Think I might go with the cozy blanket or maybe even a towel for the floor although he will probably screw it into a little ball like he does with the towel that is on the floor. Are towels ok?

He is pretty well litter trained so hopefully it won't get wet.

I have a blanket in his dog crate that he digs in, but never lies on, he prefers the plastic! I then have litter and hay in his litter tray.

Jenson likes the plastic too, glad its not just my bun!

I can't use newspaper, he won't put his feet on it and then gets hold of it with his teeth to get rid. The first time I tried straw he sneezed and the second time he tried to eat it. I do have sawdust (dust extracted) but if it's no good for him then there isn't much point, and it gets EVERYWHERE. I've just brought some cheap P@H bedding hay so we'll see how that goes!
The only thing that concerns me is that he slips sometimes getting out of his cage, I need to find something to use as a small step, although he's brighter than I realised, I think this is why he moves his litter tray. Smart.

I use megazorb in a litter tray, clear floor as he's clean and a hay filled bed area which he keeps clean. The guineas are on megazorb too because they poo and wee so much! Keeps the odour away, easy to spot clean and top up and very absorbent.

Back