• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can rabbits see in the dark?

Bunny Mum2b

Warren Scout
Operation 'Rabbits in the Garage' has just been completed :D.

I was just wondering whether I should keep the light on for them in the garage??

I know rabbits can see in the dark - but in the pitch black?

In the garden they used to have starlight/moonlight and street lights - so I doubt very much it was pitch black - however the garage is literally pitch black.

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on to the matter!! :lol:

Generally they are most active at dawn & dusk,they often sleep in their underground burrow in the darkness of the night,as foxes,badgers,Stoats,etc can see well a night & these animals hunt rabbits. So yes where your rabbits are now is fine,as long as they gets some light in the day

Thank you for your reply!

We've put a hole in the side of the garage and they have a big giant tube from their hutch to their two runs in the garden which they have access to 24hrs a day - I'm mostly concerned about them being able to move around their hutch safely and comfortably?
For example will they be able to see the ramp and litter trays - don't want them walking into anything for hurting themselves or not finding their food.

Back