• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Guinea pig advice

Grace65

Warren Veteran
:wave:
Just a quick one, how often do your piggies have fresh food? and what do they have?
I have an awful suspicion i am overfeeding my two. xxxxxxxx

we give veg every day as piggies can handle it:D a couple of green leaves each and a piece of melon ...or the equivalent of different veg... i dont think you can over feed the way you can with buns... our vet says they have only once seen an over weight piggie:lol:

Hiya, I am pretty exact with all the piggies just so I know I am giving them the same.

They get once a day something along the lines of 5 slices of cucumber, 6 slices of carrot, small handful of spinach leaves, half a stalk of celery, half a big green cabbage leaf.

They get other things but thats basic. If you want a sheet of all the foods you can give them let me know, I can email you one!

Mine get their pellet which they dont eat much of jsut freshen a small bowl full each day, about 3/4 goes a day for 3 girls, my boar gets through about half that. The girls eat a small mountains worth of hay each day, topped up through the day so they dont just poo all over it, boy doesnt eat as fast. Veggies wise they get probably a sandwich bag full each (people bring bagfuls of veggie bits for them, aunts friends neighbours, saves us a fortune). I would say mine are all about perfect weight, had some that struggle to keep weight on before.

I'm giving mine 2 small amounts of veg each day with their excel pellets, i would imagine it would be about a cup full of added up, thanks for the advice as i am splitting fresh food up twice a day i wasnt sure i was overfeeding. xxx

Back