• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Scratching bunny butts.... any thoughts....

bensonlola

Warren Veteran
Benson and now more recently Lola have decided that they like having their butts scratched. Not just a ruffle of the fur, you understand. I have to get my fingers right down into the furr (difficult in bunnies with winter coats) and give them a propper scratch. While I do this, they groom themselves elsewhere. While I am delighted to do oblige, I was just wondering this morning as I simultaniously scratched two black butts, why are they suddenly enjoying this so much - could they possibly have...... :shock: ....... fleas?

Anybody any thoughts? I cant see any fleas but then they are black bunnies and fleas are dark. I haven't come acrosss any flea dirt, but then their hair is so thick I might not be able to find them.

:?

I tried to give Spenser a bum rumple once. He didn't mind too much but I nearly strained my finger. :shock: He prefers having his head petted. As to the fleas - surely not! Wouldn't they get under your fingernails? :mrgreen:

I tried to give Spenser a bum rumple once. He didn't mind too much but I nearly strained my finger. :shock: He prefers having his head petted. As to the fleas - surely not! Wouldn't they get under your fingernails? :mrgreen:

:oops: I'm a nail biter!! There is no spare fingernail for them to go!! :oops:

Benson and now more recently Lola have decided that they like having their butts scratched. Not just a ruffle of the fur, you understand. I have to get my fingers right down into the furr (difficult in bunnies with winter coats) and give them a propper scratch. While I do this, they groom themselves elsewhere. While I am delighted to do oblige, I was just wondering this morning as I simultaniously scratched two black butts, why are they suddenly enjoying this so much - could they possibly have...... :shock: ....... fleas?

Anybody any thoughts? I cant see any fleas but then they are black bunnies and fleas are dark. I haven't come acrosss any flea dirt, but then their hair is so thick I might not be able to find them.

:?

:lol::lol: This post really made me chuckle!

I'm not sure about the fleas but i would think not, they have probably just found something that they enjoy. Maybe get some flea repelent just incase?

:lol::lol: This post really made me chuckle!

I'm not sure about the fleas but i would think not, they have probably just found something that they enjoy. Maybe get some flea repelent just incase?

Oh good. It was funny yesterday, I stopped scratching for a while and Benson just sat on beside me. Then he shuffled a bit closer to me and sat there - it was obvious that I wasn't to stop scratching and that he still wanted some more!!

It is something to consider....

Oscar loves a good scratch, but he suffers from mites

He has regular Ivermectin treatments, but because he has poor health he finds it hard to get rid of them completely, and is unable to groom himself properly because of his poor motility.

On the other hand BB loves a butt scratch and has never had mites.

My buns love a butt scratch. I have next to no nails but it still pleases them. The boys like it the most but they prefer the more fussing. I read somewhere that it is about the rabbit behaviour of mutual or group grooming. They always do this simultaneously to eachother.

Think, have you ever seen your bonded pair with them both licking eachother's backs at the same time? Mine do this a lot.

Sometimes when I just stroke Darcy he starts licking my leg or my forehead - whichever is closest at the time. :love:

Back