• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Boy or girl for bonding

sheridan

Warren Scout
a very quick question.

Have I made a mistake getting a baby girl to bond with my current female rabbit? should I have got a boy?
Im getting confused by what everyone is saying

Its too late to worry about that now. All you can do is wait until they are both spayed and recovered (unsure if one or both are not spayed) and then try, or get someone else to try for you.

Stereotypically girl-boy works best, but really its different in each individual situation and depends on the bunnies involved.

:wave:I have 2 bonded girls. My advice would be to wait until both are spayed & have fully recovered before you begin the bonding process.

Just a bit worried thats all.
I have them in 2 separate hutches which I put side by side so they can see each other. This morning, the baby got out and sort of stood up next to Ellies (we think) and Ellie went for her (we think) we heard the noise and came running. poor baby had a bleeding foot. This was with me keeping them separate. Not even attempted to bond them since i was advised not to.

Ellie is spayed but she seems to be the one causing the problems...

Ellie has been bonded to her sister but they were together since birth..

Rabbits reactions between the bars mean absolutely nothing when it comes to the properly done bonding. Don't worry about that.

What happens if they don't bond?

i really dont know. Getting pressure of parents to sell the baby already and its only been 3 days!!

She is really sweet so would have to consider 2 separate big hutches.:(
dont think I would try and get a 3rd to try and bond if this fails.

I do wonder if a few things are playing a part.

is Ellie jealous that Im giving the baby some attention? Ellie wouldnt let me touch her up unil 3 weeks ago, so for 4 years Ive not stroked her. Now when I come into the room she immediately sits up until I start stroking her. infact she actually jumped into my lap at one point.

The other would be she still doesnt get that Furby isnt coming back so doesnt like the thought of someone else being there?

I would have to consider the possibility of selling the baby if it doesnt work out but that would be if I have no other opt at all:(

To be honest, right now, 'the baby' is invading Ellie's area, so its natural she wants to drive her out. Its very, very early days.

Ellie is missing company which is probably why she is wanting attention from you.

Its unfortunate you didn't get an already neutered rescue male, or spayed female, to bond with her because you wouldn't have this interim period, but that's by the by now because it can't be changed.

It would be sad to rehome the baby when she hasn't done anything wrong.

To be honest, right now, 'the baby' is invading Ellie's area, so its natural she wants to drive her out. Its very, very early days.

Ellie is missing company which is probably why she is wanting attention from you.

Its unfortunate you didn't get an already neutered rescue male, or spayed female, to bond with her because you wouldn't have this interim period, but that's by the by now because it can't be changed.

^^ Exactly this

tbh I was stupid and listened to others advice instead of coming on here and asking you all.
If I had known I would have had this issue, I would have done what you said, but as per usual i listened to others.

I will continue to give Ellie all the love and attention she needs.
I will only rehouse the baby if after hormones have dies down they continue to aggrevate each other, otherwise, I will house them separately but keep them both

PS thank you so much for being so patient with me. I really appreciate it!!

Last edited:
Back