• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what do you think of this way of keeping rabbits?

Candiflare

Mama Doe
My rabbit savvy vet has about 60 rabbits in an enclosure with a shelter in her garden (imagine an enclosure the size of a field.) What she does is that she takes strays or rescues, spays/neuters/vacs them, and just throws them in with the others to find their feet.

The rabbits live a semi-wild, but safe and healthy, existence. She never picks them up unless they're ill and she needs to put them down, and when they need their vaccs she herds them into a pen and does them all in one go.

She says they all gradually form their own social groups and that they do go through a difficult time when they start out and try to fit in socially, but that they work it out in the end.

It's quite a cheap operation for her as her husband owns the vet practice so she gets all vacs, neuters and food for free.

Do you think this is something to aspire to for unwanted rabbits?

My rabbit savvy vet has about 60 rabbits in an enclosure with a shelter in her garden (imagine an enclosure the size of a field.) What she does is that she takes strays or rescues, spays/neuters/vacs them, and just throws them in with the others to find their feet.

The rabbits live a semi-wild, but safe and healthy, existence. She never picks them up unless they're ill and she needs to put them down, and when they need their vaccs she herds them into a pen and does them all in one go.

She says they all gradually form their own social groups and that they do go through a difficult time when they start out and try to fit in socially, but that they work it out in the end.

It's quite a cheap operation for her as her husband owns the vet practice so she gets all vacs, neuters and food for free.

Do you think this is something to aspire to for unwanted rabbits?

Personally no.
But I doubt your Vet would like my set-up one bit !!

I have a hard time believing that they just settle in without any real harm being done, personally. I know rabbits in the wild just fight it out but I don't know how many casualties there are.

that said, if it does work then I think it's great. Must be lovely to have a nice big colony like that.

I think it sounds like she 'keeping' them as rabbits as opposed to 'pets', the fact they are all vaccinated and neutered - presumably fed an appropriate diet and able to demonstrate natural behaviour is acceptable providing they are all regularly health checked, kept clean and are safe from predators then I can't see a problem.

I would say no too, but a member on here has a set up with a very large group of about 20 buns that are all in together and free range and I think it works for her.

I know it's not ideal in terms of bonding, but like Vicki P says, she is keeping them as rabbits not pets. She says that the pleasure she gets out of it is watching them in their social groups and how they interact. She says that zoologically it's very interesting to have so many rabbits, semi-tame in one place.

Obviously it's not as perfect as a rescue, but to deal with the problems of SO many rabbits that are neglected, abused, abandoned and bred in this country, it might be a good solution.

My first reaction is what about the special needs rabbits that have ongoing health problems. How does she keep track of those that have dental problems, eye problems, deaf bunnies, those with stasis etc?

I also feel like as you say they are living a semi-wild existence but have been raised as domesticated rabbits, for however long, so I wouldnt expect them to have the skills of semi-wild rabbits. Maybe they adjust quickly, who am I to say.

How does she ensure foxes cant dig in to an enclosure the size of a field, or that the rabbits cant dig out? How does she protect the other rabbits if there is an outbreak of something like EC or myxi?

I can see how it works well for her, and it sounds as though, superificially at least all the rabbits are safe and 'happy', whereas they may otherwise end up lonely and bored in a small space in a rescue, but at least then they have the opportunity to be loved and given attention and space to be their own rabbit. Then again they are with their own kind with masses of space to do as they please.

My gut reaction is I dont like it but the reality may be that they are fine with it and its better than being on the streets or PTS. :?

I know it's not ideal in terms of bonding, but like Vicki P says, she is keeping them as rabbits not pets. She says that the pleasure she gets out of it is watching them in their social groups and how they interact. She says that zoologically it's very interesting to have so many rabbits, semi-tame in one place.

Obviously it's not as perfect as a rescue, but to deal with the problems of SO many rabbits that are neglected, abused, abandoned and bred in this country, it might be a good solution.

Yeah it does sound interesting and I bet it is amazing to watch. Does she keep them all, without an intention to rehome them?

I think it's preferable to spending your entire life sat in a small hutch (alone) with an occasional run around - if rabbits could talk and were given the option of either lifestyles they would choose the semiwild option, it is essential they are 'managed' to a degree though in terms of safety/predators, diet etc and obviously if one became bullied to a harmful degree then intervention would be necessary - I think though with rabbits that 'human' involvement can be more stressful in bonding than this method, safety in numbers and room to express fight or flight is quite natural for a rabbit. They will move onto another bun till they find a friend.

I think it's preferable to spending your entire life sat in a small hutch (alone) with an occasional run around - if rabbits could talk and were given the option of either lifestyles they would choose the semiwild option, it is essential they are 'managed' to a degree though in terms of safety/predators, diet etc and obviously if one became bullied to a harmful degree then intervention would be necessary - I think though with rabbits that 'human' involvement can be more stressful in bonding than this method, safety in numbers and room to express fight or flight is quite natural for a rabbit. They will move onto another bun till they find a friend.

That's what she says they do. She says they have lots of different groups with top bunnies in each of the groups. One group will chase another off if they are on each other's territory, but that they don't fight. So she has groups of 2s and 10s and 7s and all sorts. They eat grass and hay only, but she says if they need bulking up during the winter she gives them excel pellets. They're properly protected too - predators can't get to them and they can't dig out. She is very pro rabbit-freedom and whenever I see her, she's always trying to encourage me to do the same.

I was just wondering that if OH and I get a house with more land in the future, wayaaa in the future - would this be an option for us?

I think if the bunnies are completely safe and getting all the care they need then it must be wonderful for them to live as nature intended.

My only concern would be what the rabbits are used to before they get there. If you lived as a house rabbit and are used to sleeping by a radiator then it might be a bit of a culture shock!

But at the end of the day although rabbits are domesticated they still retain most of their wild instincts so are probably having a ball :)

I think its nice they get to live in such large surroundings. A lot of rabbits dont want to be "pets" as such, so for these personalities, its perfect. Of course it would not work for rabbits who crave human interaction.

As long as they are cared for, then i think its a good way to help the mass of needy rabbits out there.

I think its wonderful that the bunnies get to be bunnies!

It depends on the type of rabbit, Strawbs would do fine in a set up like that and it would be far better for them than what I can give him. Letting Snow live with them would be about as sensible as letting a fox in!

Bungle would never cope. He has lived alone all his life and is incredibly timid.

I suppose the difference for her is that she doesn't want the personal interaction with the rabbits. Although she keeps them safe and healthy, she wants to watch them more than anything. And if one gets ill, she just puts them down - no crying or sadness, just a straightforward attitude to life, death and suffering. Although we don't have the same attitude to rabbits, I do respect her for just getting on with it and keeping them safe.

I suppose it's a bit like the rabbit army or something...

I think its wonderful that the bunnies get to be bunnies!

It depends on the type of rabbit, Strawbs would do fine in a set up like that and it would be far better for them than what I can give him. Letting Snow live with them would be about as sensible as letting a fox in!

Bungle would never cope. He has lived alone all his life and is incredibly timid.

Yes I agree on that - it's to do with the personality too. Ralph or Rosie of mine, for example, would find it harder to adapt than Ruby who would fit right in.

But I'm sure it would appeal to the instincts of my most human-friendly buns too, after a while

I think I was mostly just thinking of Starbuck who is deaf and has dental problems and loves being a housebunny with lots of interaction from us, I dont think he would take well to that kind of situation.

That said I reckon Fay and Twinkle and Star would probably love it and get up to lots of mischief. :lol: They would have a lot more space in that set up than they do now too.

I think if carefully thought out and the area prepared really thoroughly then it can be successful for some bunnies.

Back