• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My parents have just brought a rabbit home

Lillian

Warren Veteran
:shock:

They went out this morning, I was meant to be going with them but felt really depressed and decided to stay home. They've just got home and my mum said I needed to go give my dad a hand with some stuff, I opened the back door and my dad was standing there holding a box, he passed it to me and I opened it and there was a tiny orange rabbit in it :shock:

I've gotta shoot off to sort out a cage etc as it's still sitting in the box, poor little thing. I can't believe they've done this :shock:

:shock:

They went out this morning, I was meant to be going with them but felt really depressed and decided to stay home. They've just got home and my mum said I needed to go give my dad a hand with some stuff, I opened the back door and my dad was standing there holding a box, he passed it to me and I opened it and there was a tiny orange rabbit in it :shock:

I've gotta shoot off to sort out a cage etc as it's still sitting in the box, poor little thing. I can't believe they've done this :shock:

:lol:I can and have no doubt that a little bunny has now found a loving home, I would like to suggest the name of Seren from the word Serendipity:love:

Bit harsh when you are already facing bonding your current buns into a group or have to rehome them, but they probably had good thoughts at heart even if its not quite been thought out properly.

They thought it would 'Cheer me up' apparently but it's just made me feel even worse!

They got it on special offer from Pets at home :shock::evil: So it probably has jaw/dental issues! I got a Pets at home lop before 5 years ago and he had a deformed jaw and severe dental issues and had to be put to sleep at 18 months old :cry:

I go on at them enough about my views on pet shops selling animals, I've even shown them photographs of the breeding farms these animals are born at.

I don't mean to sound so ungrateful but really this was the last thing I needed right now :(

They thought it would 'Cheer me up' apparently but it's just made me feel even worse!

They got it on special offer from Pets at home :shock::evil: So it probably has jaw/dental issues! I got a Pets at home lop before 5 years ago and he had a deformed jaw and severe dental issues and had to be put to sleep at 18 months old :cry:

I go on at them enough about my views on pet shops selling animals, I've even shown them photographs of the breeding farms these animals are born at.

I don't mean to sound so ungrateful but really this was the last thing I needed right now :(

We bought our rabbit from pets at home and have no problems with him, now that we have researched into them a bit more however, I would never buy another from a pet store, as like you say it is supporting breeding farms.

I do think, that this bun has obviously been very lucky to come to you and I think your parents are genuinely trying to cheer you up. I know it looks bad on them at the moment but I think it was a kind gesture and you should be thankful.

Perhaps explain to them why you are upset that they bought this bun from a pet store.

Oh goodness, what an awful position to be in. I've seen the photo though and she is a sweet wee thing. I agree that Seren would be a lovely name for her. I sympathise re. P@H. I usually try to send my parents to get Spenser's pellets - other things get from the supermarket or online - so that I don't have to look at the bunnies for sale.

I hope they for are going to pay for vaccinations and neutering for you, what a strange thing for them to do..

I highly doubt it! They'll say it's my animal so I have to pay.

Don't see why they didn't enquire with a rescue though :? We haven't pet shop bought animals in years.

I highly doubt it! They'll say it's my animal so I have to pay.

Don't see why they didn't enquire with a rescue though :? We haven't pet shop bought animals in years.

To be honest I would consider asking them to take it back, can you really afford it?

What have they said about it?

They haven't, they just handed it to me. I'm sure they thought they were helping but this has just added to my troubles.. I wanted to have less rabbits. That's why I want them in groups rather than pairs, so as they go I don't need to get more.

To be honest I would consider asking them to take it back, can you really afford it?

I did consider that. I can afford, I have a lot more money now than I had before but I don't really want more and more animals as emotionally it's too much for me to cope with.

I did consider that. I can afford, I have a lot more money now than I had before but I don't really want more and more animals as emotionally it's too much for me to cope with.

Could you not speak to your parents and say that you appreciate what they were trying to do and that you are really grateful but you really can't cope with another bunny at the moment and would it be Ok to return it? Its better to say that now than take on another bunny for the next 8 plus years that you don't really feel you can cope with :)

I just don't for the life of me understand why they would bring you another rabbit after saying that you either have to bond some of the existing ones or rehome them.

I also think they should be responsible for all of her monetary needs as they are the ones that chose to bring her home!

Maybe they thought that the new bunny could pair with a rabbit on it's own? I don't know the situation so I can't really comment, though I wish I could see a photo of the little sweetheart.

Is there not anyone near you to help with bonding. If you're in the North East I'd be more than happy to help.

Maybe they thought that the new bunny could pair with a rabbit on it's own? I don't know the situation so I can't really comment, though I wish I could see a photo of the little sweetheart.

Is there not anyone near you to help with bonding. If you're in the North East I'd be more than happy to help.

Oh whoops, never thought of that! :oops:

There's photo's up in Stories and Photos :D

I am getting help with bonding but it can't done for a while.

My parents thought I could put it with Roo, which I can't as

1) It's female - Bonding two females is a nightmare
2) Roo's has to remain alone until December 17th

I'm not sure what to do, my parents are at the end of their tether with me and I don't want to push them over the edge by telling them to take it back.
But I'm not sure what I can do with it, I don't have any males I could bond it with.

What a surprise for you! :shock: I'm sure your parents thought they were doing a lovely thing for you. :) I would be thrilled if my parents went out and bought me a rabbit but I understand how difficult bonding is going with your current bunnies. :( Maybe your parents didn't go to a rescue because they homecheck and you would find out about it. They probably just wanted to surprise you. ;) I'm sure you will grow to love the new rabbit loads and you will probably feel guilty about not wanting it?
I do think it's pretty harsh that your parents say you have to pay for the new one when you didn't even want another rabbit! :? However, I'm sure she will have a lovely and happy life with you and I hope everything works out for you whatever you decide to do. x

Last edited:
Back