• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I feel so mean...

lydz

Alpha Buck
I know in the wild rabbits don't have lights to turn on at night but I feel so mean turning off the light when I say goodnight to Grace. Does anyone else feel like this or even leave a night light on for their bun? :oops:

Riley is in a hutch in the garden so can't really answer that question. Like you said with the wild buns, they go down into their burrows at night so it is going to be dark down there. I worry that in the early hours of the morning when rabbits have most energy that Riley can't use all that energy because I get up later than him, so I can't let him free range until about 8am. Try not to worry though, I am sure she will want the light out so she can get some sleep. :wave:

No, I don't feel mean. I wait till he goes into his cage and I close the door, turn everything off and close the door quietly and say good night. He usually settles nicely, I think he knows its bedtime. I like to keep him to the same routine, it gets messed up by the OH sometimes though, apparently I spoil Jenson.

I think they need the dark so they know when it is night time.

The couple of times I've forgotten to turn the lights off in my shed, the buns had obviously not slept well, and weren't right the next day.

Thanks guys I feel a bit better, I suppose I just worry because everyone says buns are most active from 11pm and feel sorry for her having to 'play' in the dark :D

I don't feel bad when I turn off the light with my rabbits but for some reason I do with my birds, even though they need sleep. Not sure why :? My rabbits play in the dark. sometimes I turn on the light and they're eating or something.

Generally mine (lops anyway) start settling down about 10pm no matter whether the light is on or not. They tend to go from box to my bed to their blanket on the floor back to box and then eventually go up their ramp and on their shelf for a while about midnight. I think they like the light being off by midnight, they like to be in a relatively enclosed space in the dark - I guess it's like a warren.

Awww I know what you mean, but I hear my bunnies popping through their catflap to the run at silly o'clock to really don't think they mind the dark!:wave:

I don't think it affects them in the slightest!

Louie is blind so lives his life in permanent darkness but it doesn't seem to worry him :D

Back