• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lice?

Shazza

Warren Scout
I think BB might have little visitors! Just stroking him and noticed a little black tiny bug crawling through his fur. I tried to chase it through his fur but lost it. So I've just been checking him over. I can see black specks in his fur - lice poo I suppose. I put a speck on white paper and put some water on it - it did appear to streak red. Also a couple of white dandruffy specks. So, if it is lice as I suspect, what is the best treatment? I have been reading that most flea/lice treatments are too strong for rabbits plus BB lives with Missy who probably also has lice (just tried to check, but she had other ideas!) So I would be worried about them grooming each other if they had any treatment. Some website have suggested flea combs etc are the best treatment if they are not infested. My bun-buns live indoors and I've never encountered lice/fleas etc before.

Sounds more like fleas to me. Lice are so small that their really difficult to see with the naked eye, and TBH I've never seen any 'dirt' in the coat from lice.

If in doubt ask your vet.

Treatment for fleas is Advantage (prescription only), and treatment for Lice is Ivermectin

Ah-ha. Was thinking all the signs pointed to fleas apart from I was thinking fleas jumped and didn't crawl... Little trip to the vets on monday then. Cheers!

I think Smudge had lice. There were these tiny tiny brown bits in his fur and if I watched them they very very slowly moved toward or away from each other - could only tell they were moving in relation to each other. Did mention it in passing to a vet but couldn't see them at the surgery. Didn't seem to phase him in any way, no itching, no skin reaction so didn't worry too much. Anyway, we were doing a precautionary spraying of Ivermectin (xeno 200) spray for mites and since then they've gone. You can get the spray on VetUK but maybe if you think it might be fleas it might be best to check with a vet first.

I agree with Abbymarysmokey about fleas being more likely.

I would search for the forum for the different treatment options, and I would suggest that Xenex (with the active ingredient Permethrin) would be something you should stay totally clear of.

Back