• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mice in rabbit hutch

Squizz

Alpha Buck
We have two large rabbit hutches in our few gardens stood on paved areas. My husband has made raised wooden platforms for the buns so that they are off the cold slabs, and if rain runs in have a dry seat.

A few months ago I saw a mouse under one of the platforms whilst cleaning the hutch. He took one look at me and legged it, & I hadn't seen him since. Today whilst cleaning the other hutch I found 4 mice under the platform (they are very cute!)

Now, I don't have a problem with mice, but am a bit concerned about them breeding like crazy and taking over! But more that they could carry disease / attract mites that would be a risk for the buns. Do I have anything to worry about?

If not, I am happy to let them lodge there rent free :)

p.s If they are a problem I will lay humane traps and try and take them to a local nature reserve.

I had a mouse a few years ago in my rabbit hutch he was sitting in the buns food bowl eating their pellets! I think it was just one field mouse we caught him about 20 minutes later by putting down a humane trap with some chocolate and raisons I then made my husband drive to some local fields to let him go.
I would def do the same with yours otherwise you'll have loads of them and as said they spread disease.

Thanks for the replies, I'll get some traps!

I feel a bit mean doing it, but the buns have to come before squatters.

i wouldn't allow the mice to stay...

What wire/mesh do you have on the hutch?

I would recommend the square wire mesh, as the squares are too small for the mouse to fit through. We have this on our aviary and works a treat.

It works so well that we managed to trap a mouse IN the aviary :?
Of course the mouse is now gone.

i wouldn't allow the mice to stay...

What wire/mesh do you have on the hutch?

I would recommend the square wire mesh, as the squares are too small for the mouse to fit through. We have this on our aviary and works a treat.

It works so well that we managed to trap a mouse IN the aviary :?
Of course the mouse is now gone.

The walls of the hutch are a metal wire which they can fit through, but I have also seen them squeeze under the minuscule gap between the patio and the bottom of the hutch.

I've just ordered an humane multicatch trap from Amazon - hopefully I'll be able to catch the whole family together. I don't want to be a mouse home wrecker.

The walls of the hutch are a metal wire which they can fit through, but I have also seen them squeeze under the minuscule gap between the patio and the bottom of the hutch.

I've just ordered an humane multicatch trap from Amazon - hopefully I'll be able to catch the whole family together. I don't want to be a mouse home wrecker.

When you catch them, try and take them as far away from your home as possible :lol: So they cant come back ;)

Woods, or a field are good.

When you catch them, try and take them as far away from your home as possible :lol: So they cant come back ;)

Woods, or a field are good.

There's some lovely nature reserves near us - which are woods in fields, so hopefully they will have a nice new life!

I will probably be doing them a favour, I wouldn't want to live under a roof that had my big rabbits charging around on it!

Back