• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help- parents and cages

tiger_lily

Mama Doe
Ok, here's my problem...
I'm going home from University at christmas for 3 weeks and taking Oscar with me on the train. Because of this, I am having to get a second cage for when we are at home. I will be home over christmas for about 3 weeks.

Free-ranging isn't an option since we have a dog, and even if we didn't my dad would say he would destroy the room... My dad has also said that the cage MUST be foldable, so that he can put it away when it isn't used, and can't take up much floor space either, since there isn't much space in my room. This has upset me a lot, because he is probably going to end up spending a lot more time in his cage than he does now, but my dad said it should be smaller :S

I'm thinking maybe a puppy crate or something, and try to get one of my brothers to set it all up for me and make a second level before I get back. I might see if I can get a puppy run too to attach to it, but I'm not sure how keen my dad would be on that because it will take up a lot of space...

I'm also worried that he isn't going to get any attention from my dad and stepmum while I'm at my mums house (usually 3 nights a week). It's about a 30 minute walk across town so I can come and see Oscar even when I'm not there, but I basically just had to beg my dad to feed him in the morning :(

I don't know what to do... Any ideas for a cage, or how I can get my family to actually help me to look after him? Oh, and I don't have much money to spend on it either...

Not really an option, the ones I was looking at were giving me quotes for £70+ and I can't really afford it.
I don't really want him in the house either when my landlady is sorting out the heating over the holidays, she doesn't entirely know we have a rabbit... she knows we have a pet, just not what sort!

Thanks, home is in Gainsborough, but thank you for the link! If I can get my dad to agree to one that big, I can get him to take it home when he visits next week, maybe...
Yeah Candiflare, I'm at durham university! Living in Neville's Cross. Where did you live? What college? :D

Thanks, home is in Gainsborough, but thank you for the link! If I can get my dad to agree to one that big, I can get him to take it home when he visits next week, maybe...
Yeah Candiflare, I'm at durham university! Living in Neville's Cross. Where did you live? What college? :D

Ahhh I remember that! I was at Cuths and I lived on the Bailey for 3 years! Was very lucky! I love that someone at Durham has a bunny! - I would never have contemplated it while I was there. What are you studying?

I would go for the dog crate too. Could you have one at your mum's house too, so you could take him with you when you go there?

I live in Newark which isnt too far from Gainsborough and have a 48" dog crate you could borrow if that helps at all?

Ahhh I remember that! I was at Cuths and I lived on the Bailey for 3 years! Was very lucky! I love that someone at Durham has a bunny! - I would never have contemplated it while I was there. What are you studying?

Ah, your from the Bailey! I'm on the hill- at the new college, Josephine Butler. In my last year of physics now. Getting quite tricky... I love having a bunny, it's so hard to get stressed about work when I can watch Oscar binky around the room, although he does have a taste for my notes!

The cage near durham can't deliver here, but I can hopefully get the one at home. I definitely can't keep him at my mum's though, we have a massive dog who can open every bedroom door in the house and chases rabbits in the field, hate to think what he would do to Oscar... :(
I'm sure I can get my dad to look after him when I'm not there. I was round every day over summer looking after the puppy when they were at work! It's only fair he does the same for Oscar.

Thank you very much for the offer Snowberry. I will try and buy this cage that is in Gainsborough, but if not, I will ask my dad if it will be ok to borrow yours. I just hope there will be enough space in my room for either of them... My room has become a dumping ground while I'm away, now has the keyboard and the cross trainer in, as well as the entire family's christmas presents :roll:

Yay, My dad has said that I can get the 42'' dog cage on ebay in Gainsborough, so fingers crossed I win... Auction ends tomorrow
How would you guys recommend kitting it out then (if I get it?) Please keep it as low cost as possible!

Yay, My dad has said that I can get the 42'' dog cage on ebay in Gainsborough, so fingers crossed I win... Auction ends tomorrow
How would you guys recommend kitting it out then (if I get it?) Please keep it as low cost as possible!

Newspaper on the floor (free), litter tray (usual price for litter), carrier to hide in if it has a front opening (free as you will be taking that) and a cardboard box or 2 (also free), hay rack (can be a hanging basket full of hay (free if you raid your dad's shed). If you can get your parents to agree to a puppy pen that would fit in the front of the crate that would be ideal.

There's a children's playpen here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/playpen-room-...pt=UK_Baby_Baby_Safety_ET&hash=item2eb17557fa but due to my lack of experience with children and the paraphernalia they come with I have no idea what the bar spacing is and if it would be suitable. I know people use baby gates to stop buns getting places they shouldn't.

Newspaper on the floor (free), litter tray (usual price for litter), carrier to hide in if it has a front opening (free as you will be taking that) and a cardboard box or 2 (also free), hay rack (can be a hanging basket full of hay (free if you raid your dad's shed). If you can get your parents to agree to a puppy pen that would fit in the front of the crate that would be ideal.

There's a children's playpen here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/playpen-room-...pt=UK_Baby_Baby_Safety_ET&hash=item2eb17557fa but due to my lack of experience with children and the paraphernalia they come with I have no idea what the bar spacing is and if it would be suitable. I know people use baby gates to stop buns getting places they shouldn't.

Thanks for the ideas, I never thought of putting his carrier in there too, that's a great idea.

I think I found the details for the child guard on the argos website and the width is 6cm, I think that might be a bit wide for Oscar seeing some of the places he squeezes into! I will definitely try and find some sort of pen and convince my dad there is space for it...

:wave:

Just to say, if you get stuck or are really concerned that your dad won't look after Oscar, I don't mind having him at my house while you are away :) I'm in Durham area.

:wave:

Just to say, if you get stuck or are really concerned that your dad won't look after Oscar, I don't mind having him at my house while you are away :) I'm in Durham area.

Thank you for the lovely offer, if I find I am really struggling, I will get in touch with you xx

Good news! Just spoken to my mum on the phone, and she said I can keep Oscar in my brothers room/my old room round there! I was worried that the dog could get in, but she will be putting a lock on the door too, and has agreed to let him out and play with him when I'm not there :D
Just need to get this cage now, fingers crossed

:wave: Chuffed that there are other Durham university people on here :wave: I was there 2005-2008 doing biology :wave: We weren't allowed any pets so I had to leave my bun at home with my mum!

Pleased that you have managed to get Oscar sorted out for Christmas :D

Back