• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Happy little piggies UD Pics added for Susie Bun!!

Nicola1

Wise Old Thumper
I know it's not rabbit chat sorry :oops: but I love my little piggies so much :love::love:

They are so easy to keep happy compared to the bunnies! As long as they are kept well fed, clean and watered they really don't seem to mind about anything. They just chunter away happily to themselves and keep themselves amused :love::love:

I'll go in and sit and talk to them, give the boys a cuddle and strokes and try to get the girlies (but they hate it!) and they tolerate it but they are just so content even if left to their own devices :love:

They are so easy compared to bunnies. They are messy and smelly though they pee and poo non-stop (I got wrong off bensonlola for not warning her about this when she got piggies :lol:)

I love my piggies to well they are my sons but as he is only 4 they are my responsibility our poor spencer is just a baby but it blind bless him he has cataracts in both eyes but is very happy living with his friend and getting lots of cuddles from us :)

Rose and Martha piggy were 'wurbling' very loudly at 4am :evil:

I think they were having a debate about who had which side of the bedroom - by 4.30am I got up to whisper loudly to them to shut the :evil: up!

Still love 'em, tho :lol:

Some poor deprived non-piggy owners would like to see more of your piggies. Bensonlola is much better at sharing her piggies. ;)

I want piggies sooooooo badly, I love how you can cuddle and fuss them! And the noises they make :love: I am worried about the smell though :?

Rose and Martha piggy were 'wurbling' very loudly at 4am :evil:

I think they were having a debate about who had which side of the bedroom - by 4.30am I got up to whisper loudly to them to shut the :evil: up!

Still love 'em, tho :lol:

If one of us goes to the loo in the night the girls think it is food time and start squeaking so that the whole house wakes up :roll:

Lib_n_Bunny - they do smell! mine are in the same room as the hammies so I close the door on a night to make sure the wheels don't keep me awake, and the smell hits me as soon as I open the door on a morning :mrgreen:

susie bun - I'll go and take some pictures right now :lol:

Here you go Susie Bun, just the boys, the girlies were hiding

IMG00297-20101120-1058.jpg

IMG00299-20101120-1059.jpg

Here's Spike asleep :love:

IMG00298-20101120-1059.jpg

IMG00300-20101120-1059.jpg

And Trusty looking a bit scared!

Guinea pigs do smell more because they eat much more green stuff than bunnies (and pee/poo accordingly!). Toilet training is usually more miss than hit! That is something you need to take into consideration.

Guinea pigs are not as hardy as rabbits and need protection from the winter wet and cold, as well as from the worst of the summer heat. They come from a different climate and have different dietary needs (That's why rabbit pellets are no good for piggies and vice versa).

I would not recommend having piggies in your bedroom. They get up once or twice during the night and can be as noisy as during the day; people with a latent tendency for allergies or asthma can get problems . However, watching their vocal interaction and play is entrancing! A wheeking choir at food times or a ful popcorn display (the piggy version of binkying) is such fun!!!

Like with every other pet, the more you put into a piggy the more you get out. Many piggy people have indoors runs for them to play in; my own piggies are free roaming and give me a fascinating insight into piggy herd behaviour - dull it ain't! I wouldn't change them for anything in the world.

If you are thinking about getting piggies, why not try to "holiday sit" for somebody to find out whether they are for you?

Last edited:
Guinea pigs do smell more because they eat much more green stuff than bunnies (and pee/poo accordingly!). Toilet training is usually more miss than hit! That is something you need to take into consideration.

Guinea pigs are not as hardy as rabbits and need protection from the winter wet and cold, as well as from the worst of the summer heat. They come from a different climate and have different dietary needs (That's why rabbit pellets are no good for piggies and vice versa).

I would not recommend having piggies in your bedroom. They get up once or twice during the night and can be as noisy as during the day; people with a latent tendency for allergies or asthma can get problems . However, watching their vocal interaction and play is entrancing! A wheeking choir at food times or a ful popcorn display (the piggy version of binkying) is such fun!!!

Like with every other pet, the more you put into a piggy the more you get out. Many piggy people have indoors runs for them to play in.

Summed up very well here :D mine are indoors for winter I'm not sure if I'll put them back outside I think I'll miss them too much!

I have 5 guinea pigs and 2 rabbits in my bedroom. They are actually really quite at night, unless one of the girls is in heat and my neutered boy decides to chase them! :evil::roll: You do get used to what noise they do make. I love feeding them just before I go to bed - listening to them chomp away is very calming!! I suffer from asthma, but this is aggravated moreso because of the hay than the piggies. I just don't handle the hay and have subsequently had very few problems.

I also don't believe they smell any worse than the buns. I use fleece and towels for bedding, and have a kitchen area in each cage. The fleece is changed every 7 days and doesn't smell until perhaps the day before. The kitchen areas have their hay and food bowls, and whilst they are near on impossible to litter train, they do go to the toilet a lot here. Thus it is filled with disposable bedding and just like the rabbits litter trays is changed every other day. All you can really smell is the hay - unless they have had parsley, and then it is stinky!! :lol:

Thanks for the photos! Very hadnsome chaps. They do look rather, er, smaller than Rose, Martha (who I have only seen once), Penelope and Hazel.

Are you saying my girls are 'porkers'???:shock: :lol:

To be fair, I don't think the photos you posted were taken at the most flattering of angles... :lol: Lovely girls though, as are their bauble versions, now getting a bit squeaky regarding their residence in a drawer. Can't wait to see my Dda's face.... :lol:

To be fair, I don't think the photos you posted were taken at the most flattering of angles... :lol: Lovely girls though, as are their bauble versions, now getting a bit squeaky regarding their residence in a drawer. Can't wait to see my Dda's face.... :lol:

Rose: What's not flattering about this shot?
BunniesandpiggiesSept2010003.jpg

Martha: I always look slim....well, slimmer than Rose, anyway!
BunniesandpiggiesSept2010001.jpg

Back