• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help in everything!!!

Hi all, im new :oops:

I have a 6 month old lop that has a nice double up down hutch. I have a few questions as I really am a little worried about her as its getting cold.

Now winters setting in i have her covered witha plastic cover (top only) and carpet that covers roof and top half of hutch. I have been shuting the door to stop her going down at night. Is this wise????

I open her up in am, fill her bowl with a bunny dry mix. Water bowl as she wasnt drinking out bottle. Put her hay in and a mix of fresh veg, (cabbage, carrot, apple). At night I do same put put her to bed.
She doesnt seem to eat all carrot (only give 2 slices) and takes 3 days to empty hay feeder and food bowl. Does this seem normal? Also what other veg can I give her? ANd should I stop her going 'downstairs'? at night.

Now the grass is frosty and very wet with the torential rain, I havent been putting her out in her big run. Should I? Especially when its wet and frosty?

I talk to her every time im out there and when im in the hutch but she just doesnt seem happy. She doesnt nose me or seem at all interested, just runs into her bedroom. Normal??????

Any help and advice will be really appreciated. Many thanks for reading.

:)

Don't lock her upstairs at night, she needs as much freedom as possible. If the weather gets horrible she will go upstairs and shelter on her own.

It sounds like you might be feeding her too much. You should only give a handful of pellets, unlimited hay and a few vegetables. Mine didn't always used to eat their carrot but it was because I was feeding too many pellets and treats.

You can still let you rabbit out on the grass even when it's wet or frosty as long as they have somewhere to shelter all the time.

Hi all, im new :oops:

I have a 6 month old lop that has a nice double up down hutch. I have a few questions as I really am a little worried about her as its getting cold.

Now winters setting in i have her covered witha plastic cover (top only) and carpet that covers roof and top half of hutch. I have been shuting the door to stop her going down at night. Is this wise???? Personally I would give her access to the run then she can make a choice - my lot sit out in all weathers

I open her up in am, fill her bowl with a bunny dry mix. Water bowl as she wasnt drinking out bottle. Put her hay in and a mix of fresh veg, (cabbage, carrot, apple). At night I do same put put her to bed. If possible I would try switching to a pellet mix such as Wagg or Science Selective as it prevents Selective feeding. Try not to feed too much apple or carrot as they are both quite high in sugar, try giving them maybe weekly as a treat and increase the amount of green leafy veg and hay
She doesnt seem to eat all carrot (only give 2 slices) and takes 3 days to empty hay feeder and food bowl. Does this seem normal? Also what other veg can I give her? ANd should I stop her going 'downstairs'? at night. How much mix are you feeding? I would suggest a small handful per day max and ideally of pellets rather than mix. 85% of her diet should be hay so you may need to reduce the amount of other stuff you feed

Now the grass is frosty and very wet with the torential rain, I havent been putting her out in her big run. Should I? Especially when its wet and frosty? Ideally the run should be attached to the hutch so that she can come and go as she pleases. Buns are most active at dusk and dawn. Does the run have a cover so that she can sit in a dry area but still exercise?

I talk to her every time im out there and when im in the hutch but she just doesnt seem happy. She doesnt nose me or seem at all interested, just runs into her bedroom. Normal?????? Yes thats fairly normally she will get used to you. Is she spayed yet? This can help with temprament and often makes buns a bit cuddlier

Any help and advice will be really appreciated. Many thanks for reading. If space and finances allow getting her a neutered male friend once she is spayed would be great for her

:)

Thanks for replies.

It seems I'm feeding her a little too much then, I'll sort that out.

I will leave her to have full hutch at night from now on, it is covered etc.. at top so assume she will go to bed.

Apples, ummm, will ration them then now to a couple times a week. She does love them though.

I hate that shes not out in her run more but will but her out regardless now, frost or wet grass. I have a box that has hole in for her to shelter if she needs with a little straw but I have never seen her use it when shes out on grass.

Thanks guys. :wave:

If you are worried she's cold the best plan would be to get her spayed (essential in stopping mammary and uterine cancers which around 80% of females will get by the time they are 5) and then bonding her with a neutered male bunny. They will be able to snuggle up and keep warm.

You also say mix food. It is much better to feed pellets instead of mix as mixes can be high in processed carbs which are not great for bunny digestive systems and encourages them to selectively feed. A decent pellet which is readily available in most pet shops is Excel. This can cause sticky bums so be on the lookout. There are other brands you can try if this happens :wave:

If you are worried she's cold the best plan would be to get her spayed (essential in stopping mammary and uterine cancers which around 80% of females will get by the time they are 5) and then bonding her with a neutered male bunny. They will be able to snuggle up and keep warm.

You also say mix food. It is much better to feed pellets instead of mix as mixes can be high in processed carbs which are not great for bunny digestive systems and encourages them to selectively feed. A decent pellet which is readily available in most pet shops is Excel. This can cause sticky bums so be on the lookout. There are other brands you can try if this happens :wave:

This :thumb:

You may also want to reduce the amount of commercial food given and change the hay daily, buns like hay to be fresh and smelling sweet. If bun is eating less mix/pellets, they will eat more hay to compensate and this is much better for them in so many ways. I would also slowly phase out the carrot, apple and cabbage and look into higher fibre less starchy leafy greens, grass, dandelions etc... introduced slowly to allow the tum to adjust. If you read the leaflets here it might help:
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/index.php?section=leaflets.html :wave:

Awww thanks guys, this really helps, shes now all covered up for night but sitting downstairs looking out. Im happier that she has more room at night.

I really did want 2 rabbits when I bought her and intended to bring 2 but my box wasnt big enough! Oh well! Might look into getting male after xmas as I think thatll be the time to get her spayed.

My Eddie used to sit out in ALL weathers and lived to the ripe old age of 10!

I'd advise putting some hay in her run in case she wants to snuggle outside as well. Eddie used to burrow into his and eat his way out...:lol:

Awww thanks guys, this really helps, shes now all covered up for night but sitting downstairs looking out. Im happier that she has more room at night.

I really did want 2 rabbits when I bought her and intended to bring 2 but my box wasnt big enough! Oh well! Might look into getting male after xmas as I think thatll be the time to get her spayed.

there are lots of rescue bunnys looking for a lovely home :), you say she loves apples but that really isnt the best thing for her, its like children love chocolate but you cant give it to them all the time, i have had to ration my rabbits veg and pellets as he was not eating enough hay i only give them apples or carrots as a specail treat (birthday, christmas and easter:lol:), its imporant they eat hay, else they can suffer from dental problems and ongoing treatment. i have a double hutch and a run attached all the time, i put concrete slabs down so its easy to clean and does not get too wet as i put a ground sheet over it plus it keeps there claws short :D snuggle safe is great to keep them warm they have one in there run with a blanket and bed and upstairs i fill the whole area right to the top with hay in the winter and they love borrowing in to it at night :)

Last edited:
Back