• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Urgent help needed PLEASE!!!!!

Tiabrac

Alpha Buck
My son has just come in from tucking up is guineas and we have 3 babies! We were told that Fudge and Nibbles were boys!

What do we do?

Do they need us to do anything in particular for mum or babies?

Can er leave dad in there or should we separate?

Panic Panic advice please.:shock::shock::shock:

Seperate dad. Pigs are fairly sef sufficient straight away I would put lots of extra food in for mum and make sure they are warm enough

My son has just come in from tucking up is guineas and we have 3 babies! We were told that Fudge and Nibbles were boys!

What do we do?

Do they need us to do anything in particular for mum or babies?

Can er leave dad in there or should we separate?

Panic Panic advice please.:shock::shock::shock:

My instinct would be to say to take dad out as if piggies are anything like rabbits I believe they can fall pregnant again immediately. I don't have any knowledge though I'm afraid, but lots of people here will do. Also, you could try asking on a guinea pig forum perhaps, or looking on a piggy site?

I would separate the dad and don't touch the babies. Have an ask on the guinea lynx forum for more advice :wave: do you know which is the boy and which is the girl?

it is a bit late now as she will be preg straightaway, you can leave dad in but move him before she is due, he will help raise the babies, but remember you need to move any baby boys at 21 days exactly as they can catch mum or sisters

Thank you everyone. We have just had a big dose of additional drama! We went out and tried to take Fudge(boy) but he ran right out of the hutch and hid, we have have only just managed to catch him. My son was in tears begging him to come back. I have checked and he is def. the boy. I have put him in a small hutch for tonight until I know more about what I should be doing. :shock:

aww bless your poor son :( hope you're all ok must have been a massive shock. You can get pigs neutered but I would make sure it is a very piggie savvy vet if you do decide to :wave:

aww bless your poor son :( hope you're all ok must have been a massive shock. You can get pigs neutered but I would make sure it is a very piggie savvy vet if you do decide to :wave:

They were we thought 3 brothers(so we were told) and Fudge(daddy) picked on Nibbles so I had nibbles neutered and bought Daisy for him to snuggles up with. Now I realise they were probably fighting over the female.

I'm too old for all this drama lol

Oh no! What a shock for you! :shock::(

Send Jill or Ange (thumpinbun) a PM or give Jill a call. They will be able to give you lots of advice and help get things sorted :)

ETA: I got a bit confused - do you have 2 boys and a girl then? Is the female now on her own with the babies and the boys together?

Last edited:
Oh no! What a shock for you! :shock::(

Send Jill or Ange (thumpinbun) a PM or give Jill a call. They will be able to give you lots of advice and help get things sorted :)

Thank you. I thought we were safe and that none of the animals would be having babies, just goes to show you can't take anything for granted. :shock:

Hi, sorry to hear you have had some unexpected arrivals. You have done the correct thing by removing the male, if she isn't already pregnant again then leaving the boar in would only ensure she becomes so.

I am sure that you have already made sure that they have plenty of nice warm bedding and good quality food. As long as mum and babies are fine they are the only things you need to do immediately. The babies should start nibbling hay and vegetable with the next couple of days.

By the way guinea pigs aren't like rabbits with their babies, you can handle then without causing any problems with the sow. They do not make a nest so the hutch/cage can be cleaned out as normal. Be careful though when handling the babies as they tend to be like little grasshoppers and just spring out of your hands.

I have just spent the last two weeks watching the baby of one of the Lymington pigs and I must warn you they are so enchanting that you may find you become so preoccupied watching them all else becomes unimportant.

Please feel free to pm me if there is anything you would like to ask.

Thank you that advice is just what I have been trying to get from two vets today I couldn't believe they couldn't answer my questions.

I was worried that I would upset mum today as I wanted to makes sure that there were no still born in there. I worried coming away from the hutch that she may hurt them.

Thank you for the reassurance.

Back