• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

YUK , Maggots in excel apple bits

VickiP

Wise Old Thumper
Hi everyone, just wanted to pre-warn people what with the dark nights - I discovered a maggot in a packet of Burgess Excel Apple bits a few weeks ago - I couldn't be sure where I'd bought the packet - however today I visited the Range and the whole cardboard holder of individual packets (approx 6 packets left) where affected - you could clearly the see the maggots in the bags however the bag I'd bought you couldn't - there was one deep within the bag - just a warning to always empty any rabbit food/treats etc preferably hay into another container and check it in light before giving it to your pets - I stressed to the assistant in the shop that it was potentially lethal for this sort of thing to happen with rabbits treats !! Not impressed however, on reflection apples are seasonal and open to the invasion of flies etc - just wanted to put it on the table for info in case anyone opens a packet in the dark and just throw's in it some hay for example :wave:

I had a similar thing a few weeks ago with some bunny apple strudel treats from pets at home. Opened the bag and 2 moths flew out! Emptied the bag out to have a look and there was a maggoty thing in a sort of cocoon along with bits of like spiders webby stuff that presumably came from the moths. Anyway I took it all back and swapped if for a new pack which was fine. I suppose it's quite easy to happen really, but I had to wonder how long the things had been in the pack to hatch two moths with at least one other on the way :shock:

:shock: Eeew .....I don't buy those types of treats anyway so no probs there but that is worrying! Have you been in touch with Burgess?

blurrrggghhhh thanks for letting us know, that is disgusting...

Have you written to them? It sounds like its a common thing if you have seen it in quite a few boxes :?

No I haven't complained to Excel yet - I don't have a receipt :roll: I will email though I think - not interested in compensation just can't bear the thought of someone throwing a few in on hay and a maggot or it's lavae being present - I felt really odd when I found it and yes a moth thing was trying to fly - but, was crawling and exactly the same cobwebby type stuff - however, the packs today were fully grown (slightly yellowy maggots) big ones - I suppose they had been feasting on the apple bits urrrghhhhhhh - it's truly vile but, if it makes even one person just a bit more vigilant in checking what they feed their buns that is good - it frightened me that had I opened the packet in the garden in the dark for example to sprinkle a few on the fresh hay - it doesn't bear thinking about - at some point the insect has got into the production process - it couldn't be in the apple itself so potentially in any of our (products) for buns there could be some sort of lavae - just wanted to pre-warn to be on the safe side - will email Burgess Excell though aswell.

:shock::( thats revolting. Don't buy them and never will now

I must admit it has kind of put me off - @ £1.99 a packet I think I might stick to a small piece of fresh apple as a treat, I liked them in the way they are sprinkle to put on hay to encourage foraging however, I can chop fresh apple that small really for a quarter of the price and in the knowledge it's washed and safe - hope it might make people buying pre-packed stuff's for buns to check it and not trust it to be safe really.

Spenser doesn't like fresh nearly as much as dried. I've just bought a new packet today - sell-by date Feb 2011. He gets a little sprinkling of them as a good night treat.

Urgh :evil:
Looks like I'm going through 20 odd packets today. My rabbits go crazy for these

Urgh :evil:
Looks like I'm going through 20 odd packets today. My rabbits go crazy for these

Yep I would empty them all out into a good size tupperwear container one by one and move it around gently with a spoon, if you'd seen the packets yesterday that I took off the shelf and gave to an assistant they were vile, they had lots of large yellowy maggots clearly visible, the packet I had bought though you couldn't see anything till you opened it - luckily I always decant anything for the buns into airtight containers and check it as the little blighter was right in the middle of the apple bits urghhhh really creeped me out when I saw them wriggling around in the bags though.

Urghhh! :shock: I've never bought the dried fruit treats but the treats I do buy, I always empty into an airtight box anyway. The thought of putting your hand in the bag in the dark... Makes my skin crawl! :lol:

Welcome back btw Vicki. :):wave:

Back