• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pet cremation services

bluebunny

Wise Old Thumper
I left Shadow at the vets to be cremated yesterday i just had to take George to the vets so had to pay my bill,It was £120 to have her cremated:shock: ive just emailed a service thats near me they charge £45 Im so angry the vets put such a mark up on it!!!!!!!!

Yeah there's a similar thread around somewhere recently (eta: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=247466&highlight=crematorium )

My previous vet quoted me £180 to cremate Sooty my old cat; I now know of a local-ish place who cremated Santa for me for £35. Their price for a cat is £55!

I think it's a real shame that such a huge mark up is made on people's grief :(

Ooops:oops: I know at least i know where to go if i ever need to have another one cremated:(

Vets love to charge a fortune for everthing. I'd cremate mine myself, if the thought of any creature on fire didn't freak me out :shock:

I've never had any animal cremated because I just can't afford too, now I'm running out of burial space in the garden :?

Hello Sybil, welcome to the forum :wave:

I would be very careful about where you have your pet cremated, especially if you specifically want an individual cremation. Our cremation was £100 (plus a transport charge) which is a heck of a lot of money, but we knew it was being done properly. We could have had it done at a different place, far far cheaper, but goodness knows what you would get back. I'm sure that in some cases they do rip people off, but not always.

Have a look at the APPCC site.

E. After reading the other thread, I see what you mean now. That's vile. Even though the vet recommends the crematorium and Oidhche was picked up from there, they don't profit anything from it. The prices are the same as if you took your pet direct, all you save is a transport charge.

Last edited:
I agree with the fact that you don't know what you're getting back. A vet friend told me it's not an individual cremation at the surgery. Very sad to play on people's grief like that to make money.

I would have normally burried G&T but as the vet performed an autopsy on them we decided on individual cremation. The cost was just one more punch in the gut from a horrendous incident in my life.:cry:

Back