• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pet shops should be more careful!

stranger23

Mama Doe
Ok so this isnt rabbit related well sort of it is, i go to this pet shop near me the girls in there are really nice but recently the quality of the animals from there is shocking! I had to take my guinea pig to the vets today as i noticed one of his eyes looked a bit cloudy, when we got there the vet confirmed what i thought and he did have cataracts in that eye so much so that he was completely blind in that eye the lens had even moved out of place, she also noticed he has the start of cataracts in his other eye so soon will be completely blind and altho i know he can live perfectly happily while blind its such a shame as he is still only young only about a year old at the most so it was genetic, if the pet shop didnt take animals off anyone then they would have got from a breeder and they wouldnt breed with animals that carry it knowing it can be passed down to the young, i got a baby rabbit from them recently and she was poorly has only just started pooing properly as before they were really really soft, they keep guinea pigs and rabbits together in the pens and altho they offer rabbit and guinea pig food who can say that the rabbits eat the rabbit food and the guinea pigs eat the guinea pig food that could be causing some of the problems, i was in there again today picking up fish food and there was someone in there selling kittens and the girl who worked there said how the last one they had off him had to be put down after an epileptic fit but they were still going to have the kittens knowing that the kittens had the same dad as the first all thats going to happen is the kittens get sold to someone some thing happens to the kitten or the new owner cant deal with it due to sickness or whatever and then they return the kitten and it gets bounced about from home to home, im not saying that this pet shop is bad as its not worse than any other i just wish they would use common sense to save the animals in there care! Ok rant over :oops:

:censored::censored::censored::censored:pet shops....i got angry yesterday in a pet shop as this customer was asking the girl that worked there about mites /fleas etc as she said she couldnt afford the vets what was wrong with her bun?:shock: the girl told her a load of rubbish about mites:censored:

i this is the Bruno's, the standards in there are appauling. I was in yesterday, the small animals cages are discusting. The manx kittens "coop" needs a good scrub it smells like someone has had an accident. The only decently kept animals are the reptiles. I dont think the staff are brilliant in general either :?

i went to a pet shop yesterday, one that doesn't sell animals just food and stuff. anyway over the summer they were selling the smallest cage i have ever seen. :shock: and it was £80 :shock:
i go there for bails of hay and asked if she could get me some timothy hay. that way it will prob be cheaper than pets at home. firstly she said "thats expensive that hay", so i said "yes i know" and then she said "why do you give your rabbits timothy hay when you get the bails?" i replied saying "well they eat the hay from the bail until they have poo'd and wee'd on it and the timothy hay gives me peace of mind that they have eaten some hay." the look on her face was pure shock. :lol:
thank god they dont sell animals because i hate going in pets at home because of that reason. i try to close my eyes and not look as i walk past them. :roll:

Yes this is brunos i didnt want to name and shame really as its not fair to discriminate against the staff when they just dont know any better we have all done wrong before for not knowing any better, ive started telling them where they are making mistakes and ive been in worse pet shops, i just wish that you had to have qualifications to own a pet shop and the staff trained i was looking into opening my own pet shop and all i needed was to pay £140 for the licence and buy a property and stock! i try and advice people how to care correctly for their animals be it my family friends or pet shops just most people dont like to be told when they are doing something wrong so it doesnt always go down well

Im always surprised how much it varies in there, sometimes everything is lovely and clean and the staff are great other times its discusting and the staff are "offish" If you do open up a pet shop please let me know, will be nice to go somewhere decent :D

When i open it i will let everyone know were aiming to be the best doing researching all the animals, going to have care sheets for everything that we sell that will be sent home with the animal, we will have a pc connected to the web so anything we dont know we can double check (never going to claim to know it all as no one does) were going to start as a fish shop and have reptiles and other animals as we expand as to start with wont have the money to open somewhere big enough for it all but were fed up of being told the wrong thing just so a shop gets a profit im more into it for the love of animals than for a profit altho it will be nice its not going to rule my life if i knew every animal i sold was happy and healthy then thats enough for me :)

i have to get the fish food from there as its the only place near me that does a certain type of food and i need it for my work (i clean fish tanks for a living :) ) i only ever talk to one girl there as she knows what she is doing

When i open it i will let everyone know were aiming to be the best doing researching all the animals, going to have care sheets for everything that we sell that will be sent home with the animal, we will have a pc connected to the web so anything we dont know we can double check (never going to claim to know it all as no one does) were going to start as a fish shop and have reptiles and other animals as we expand as to start with wont have the money to open somewhere big enough for it all but were fed up of being told the wrong thing just so a shop gets a profit im more into it for the love of animals than for a profit altho it will be nice its not going to rule my life if i knew every animal i sold was happy and healthy then thats enough for me :)

good luck :wave:

Thanks i know its going to be a few years before were able to open up but im doing loads of research now i already have experience with all sorts of different animals we have got about 40 odd animals in our house if you count all the fish :) i love them all and they all get time for cuddles with me except my chameleon as he doesnt like being handled much so we leave him to get on with his life knowing that he is so much happier now we rescued him as someone was keeping him in a box so i built him a 4 foot high viv to live in and gave him loads of plants to hide in :)

Back