• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spay Advice

unalakey

Mama Doe
Poor Nell (Frenchie) has been spayed today, although she has come round the aneasthetic ok she is still not eating or drinking or pooping, her tummy is making gurgling noises, it has been 5 yrs since i had a rabbit spayed with me and im abit woried. She usually eats for Englad, i realise she will be sore and groggy :( I picked her up from the Vets at 3pm

Have you tried hand feeding her some of her favourite herbs, dandelions etc Thats what I did when my Peppa wasn't eating and when she still refused them by the next morning I took her and Sugar back to the vet for their post op check (and told them she wasn't eating still) and they gave me some recovery and a syringe to try feeding her, until she started eating again. She also has some more painkiller injection.

Luckily by the afternoon she started eating the dandelions I offered her and picked up from there.

Sugar was spayed at the same time approx,(Same day) and was eating by the late afternoon of her spay and moving around, Peppa looked so sorry for herself in comparison and must have been in pain bless her.

Have you got a post op appointment for Nell in the morning?
I hope things start to improve, if not i'd take her back to the vets in the morning just to be on the safe side.:love:

Was she given a painkiller by the vets? Its worth checking

I would suggest syringe feeding her help keep her gut going - maybe even speak to the vets about a gut stimulant. My vets wont normally let an animal go home until they have eaten. Was she eating at the vets do you know?

o bless her, my poppy was very much like this when i got her home, i gave her, her best treat that they never get (apple pieces) and she did start nomming :) also i put a little drop of fruit juice in her water and wow dont they love apple juice :shock: :lol: mine strangly like licking the recovery food aswell when they are poorly is you have any? if not i mush up some of there pellets and wet them :) i did call the vets and they gave me a stimulant to make her feel hungry, may be worth giving them a call :)

Thanks for your advice, i have left all her favourites with her - parsley, apple and coriander and tried handfeeding but she's not interested. she has been given an injection of painreleif and i have some Metacam and Baytril for tomorrow. Her appt at the vets is for Monday, i left food for her at the vets so maybe she ate abit there, they never said and i didnt ask:oops: but it was all mixed up with hay so maybe she did (i left it in neat compartments:oops:) i keep checking her, think im mithering her now,Also she had this massive headcollar on, honestly she couldnt have eaten or slept with it on, needless to say i took it off, hope ive done the righ thing but it looked so uncomfortable:?

Its very important that she does eat. Do try syringe feeding her. If she hasnt eaten for herself by the morning I would call the vets

We just had our 4 year old girl spayed a month ago. She was very groggy for that whole night and really wouldn't eat much of anything until the next afternoon. After that she was right as rain..... We did syringe feed her Critical care the next morning to ensure she didn't get ill but once she decided to eat on her own later that day she picked right up. Hope this helps your worry. :wave:

We just had our 4 year old girl spayed a month ago. She was very groggy for that whole night and really wouldn't eat much of anything until the next afternoon. After that she was right as rain..... We did syringe feed her Critical care the next morning to ensure she didn't get ill but once she decided to eat on her own later that day she picked right up. Hope this helps your worry. :wave:

Thanks for your advice:wave:

:wave:She is fab this morning:D Woke up to lots of poo's!! Yeah!! and she had eaten the dish full of veggies and some haY, i have hand fed her veggies this morning just to make sure:roll:i put her meds on her veggies too. She was even grooming her teddy this morning so she must be feeling better, Cant wait to get her a friend. So happy that she is pulling through her Op, her breeding days are well and truly over:D

:wave:She is fab this morning:D Woke up to lots of poo's!! Yeah!! and she had eaten the dish full of veggies and some haY, i have hand fed her veggies this morning just to make sure:roll:i put her meds on her veggies too. She was even grooming her teddy this morning so she must be feeling better, Cant wait to get her a friend. So happy that she is pulling through her Op, her breeding days are well and truly over:D

im so glad :D read your other post about the head collar, i never put mine on poppy :) im so glad she all ok

Thanks everyone:wave: so glads she's eating again and taking her meds really well. She is a bit quiet but then she is a chilled bun anyway, she keeps flopping down which is good cos then i get to see her wound, it looks nice and neat and very clean. So excited now to find her a husbun:D:D

Back