• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Warm enough?

flopstufty

Young Bun
My two girls, flops and tufty, lived indoors last winter in a 2storey plastic hutch but I felt they became unhappy in it and it is too small for them now. Since March they have been in a lovely 3 tier 6ft long hutch with a 6ft run I built onto it. They are very happy in 'Buckingham palace' (they have more spare room than I do, lol!) and often sit out in the run late at night when I expect them to be tucked up inside keeping warm. I have the hutch in a very sheltered spot where the wind can barely get to. Now as the winter is coming in, I worry that they are warm enough. I put paper then straw and hay down but the girls tend to chuck a lot of it out. I also have got a cover for the hutch but was trying to wait a bit until I put that on. Will they have a winter coat? This will be their 2nd winter but their first one spent outside. I'm really reluctant to bring them in as I do feel they were unhappy inside. Will they be warm enough?

If theyve been outside since March then they should have a nice winter coat and each other to snuggle up so they can keep warm. It sounds like you are doing everything right and they have a lovely home :)

When I had a hutch/run, I put little plastic carrier in there stuffed with hay and a snugglesafe heat pad but the buns I was fostering who were in the hutch ignored it :lol:

If they are happier outside, then I would leave them there in their luxury accommodation.

Back