• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor Hay storage

Leigh

Mama Doe
After rudely hijacking another thread :oops: I thought it might help if I made my own?? (sorry abi2047)

I was thinking about how to store our first hay bale and I think im leaning towards splitting it into some nice cotton bags and hanging them up so they cant get damp etc and then I was thinking about putting some kind of larger storage in with the bunnies in their wendy house. I dont really want them to be able to sit on it and use it as a toilet as they have litter boxes for that but I wondered whether I could get a largish bin which had holes in so they could sit and munch. The only thing I have seen so far is this:

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/tall-lilac-flexible-laundry-basket/F/C/washing-laundry/C/washing-laundry-laundry-bags-hampers-baskets/product/22098

What do you think? They have a plastic tunnel which we swap out for other things and chewing on that doesn't seem to have caused a problem....

They would also have access to hay elsewhere in hanging baskets and litter boxes etc

Thanks for any suggestions

(I have looked for a natural fabric one but my they are quite expensive....)

I quite like that idea. Mine would make a tremendous mess with it though - that's why I stick to just hay in litter trays! I'd make sure they can't possibly jump in it though. My Mini can jump 75cm high so she'd be able to get in that. I don't think a fabric one would work anyway - I'm sure you'd come back to a pile of rags. :lol:

totally agree about the jumping into it - when daisy was with u she did something very similar, was quite a surprise to come downstairs and find her! I was wondering whether the plastic might be soft enough that we could kind of bring the top edges together and but a big bulldog clip (or two) to hold it together... or maybe ill spend a few more hours looking for one with a lid :)

also agree about the mess but i spose if they pull it out of the holes they might help hoover up by eating it?!

the bale is making a right mess in the shed at the moment and much as i love the outdoor boxes i just dont really know where we could fit one, we dont really seem to have a large enough space anywhere so need to come up with some different ideas for storage :D

EDIT

Found this, only thing is id prefer it to be a nice colour and not white....

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/Bins-Laundry-Baskets+Storage/Laundry-Basket/invt/0196942?htxt=PsAGyAqy%2FDSGVBgOHPBfATKVETOKIWHcwqoICuDrG%2FxTcDPfxIrYzUvEu76RzzM6wutKTeo9AOCB%0AtDs76aYYKg%3D%3D

Last edited:
old fashioned hay bales

If you have an old fashioned hay bale, which is what we use, you could look out for a giant cardboard box - the kindelectrical kitchen applicances come in is fine - and keep the hay in it in an outhouse, shed or garage. That way it doesn't get fusty or suffer from condensation and mould. Then you can take out a section at a time (they split up into slivers, almost like slicing bread) when you need it. ideal. Good luck.

I keep my bales in the bunny sheds but I store them in old duvet covers. The cotton covers are breathable so the hay stays nice and fresh and they also keep the hay under control!! Cheap as chips :D.

I keep my bales in the bunny sheds but I store them in old duvet covers. The cotton covers are breathable so the hay stays nice and fresh and they also keep the hay under control!! Cheap as chips :D.

How do you stop the buns eating through the duvet?

I think I'm a bit confused as to what exactly you're looking for. Are you wanting boxes to put the bale in indoors? Or something to use as a kinda large hay rack? Or even both?

I have my bale in one of those garden storage boxes in the garage outdoors but I only go to that about twice a week (three times in summer) to change boxes with hay direct from the bale and to fill up two Rhinotubs. It does take up some space though cos you can't really put stuff on top or you can't get into it. Maybe an alternative is one of those cheap upright plastic cupboards with the shelves taken out?

Then I store the Rhinotubs in their rooms and twice a day take a large handful from them to refill the litter trays. They stack, even when full they still manage to stack up (although when they're empty they can be a real pain to get apart! Kinda need to jerk both handles upwards at the same time)

I'm not sure I quite know what I want LOL

I don't think we really have room for storing a hay bale in it's full size so it's going to have to broken up into bits and then stored. So I was wondering if I put a large chunk of it in a container (which could double up as a hay feeder for a bit of variety & fun 4 them) then I could maybe put the rest in cotton laundry bags and hang them off the apex if our shed (indoors)

The bale will be used as hay for their litter boxes mostly with other hay for special toys etc (no idea where that will go now!)

Last edited:
Back