• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

redesigning sheds and wendys to make cleaning out easier

Bea & Floss

Mama Doe
Hi all, I wonder if anyone can help me?

I am looking for ideas for redesigning wendy houses and sheds to make them easier to clean out. I have recently been diagnosed with arthritis that is effecting most of my joints and i have been finding it increasingly difficult to clean out.

I have buns in a double hutch within an avairy which is ok to clean, but the shed and wendy house which both house piggies is a real pain (literally!) as everything is on the floor and the space is hard to move around in.

Has anyone made alterations to raise everything up, i really need to sort something out but am really stuck for ideas, any advice appreciated x

Thank you :) xx

You can build up platforms using quite cheap timber and plywood to bring everything up to say 2ft or 3ft off the floor.

floors.jpg

Do you have someone who could help you do that sort of thing?

I sweep up the main waste as much as I can (now this is going to seem silly to some) I hoover out the rest!! We have a very old Vax hoover which is only used for bunnies waste. It really is good and is just so easy to empty in the main bin too. Hope this helps :wave:

You can build up platforms using quite cheap timber and plywood to bring everything up to say 2ft or 3ft off the floor.

floors.jpg

Do you have someone who could help you do that sort of thing?

I have thought of raising the floors up with shelves but not sure if it would work with the shed, its 6ft deep and i wouldnt be able to reach the back.

This is the shed

043-1.jpg

045-1.jpg

And this is the wendy house, i could probably raise the whole floor of the wendy house and maybe take the whole front section off and make new doors that open right up.

002-3.jpg

Last edited:
I sweep up the main waste as much as I can (now this is going to seem silly to some) I hoover out the rest!! We have a very old Vax hoover which is only used for bunnies waste. It really is good and is just so easy to empty in the main bin too. Hope this helps :wave:

wow never thought of using a hoover! I could do that with the buns poo in the avairy as theres an outside socket nearby, what about bits of hay, doesn't it block the hoover up?

We used a hoover to clean out the piggies when they were on fleece and it nearly destroyed our hoover. You need to be careful doing that often.

I use the hoover in the room to collect the bits that fall out of the cage - it is fine for picking up poops, but hay tends to clog it up a bit. It is easy to unclog it, but probably not the best for the hoover so I try to sweep up as much hay as I can first.

Back