• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

is it really wrong?

neenee

Warren Scout
To want a rabbit for its certain look? I know i much prefer lop eared rabbits and whilst looking for a rabbit in rescues this is what i look for. Ive seen people criticized for searching for a particular breed. When i first owned rabbits i didnt know much about rescues so i got my mini lop off a breeder, his colour is what i was specifically looking for as was my french lop and i dont regret being "shallow" in my decision.

To want a rabbit for its certain look? I know i much prefer lop eared rabbits and whilst looking for a rabbit in rescues this is what i look for. Ive seen people criticized for searching for a particular breed. When i first owned rabbits i didnt know much about rescues so i got my mini lop off a breeder, his colour is what i was specifically looking for as was my french lop and i dont regret being "shallow" in my decision.

No i don't think so anyway. It's personal preference. You are still looking for a rescue so its a bun thats in circulation anyway

No.

My OH fell in love with Biscuit's look and his eyes when she saw him in the Garden Centre. So i bought him.

I fell in love with Ginger's pictures, 'cos of how she looked. So i adopted her from the Rescue.

I personally dont think so...XD:lol:
With breeds, I find its not just the look, but the other qualitys of the breed. Such as temperment and size (I find smaller rabbits easier to hold so prefer to have them as pets than to bigger rabbits- but I actually have some large rabbits and I love them just as much, I just find them harder to pick up)
Also, as you know neenee, I do love a certain colour on a rabbit ;):lol:. Dosent mean I like the rabbit more, just that i like the colour. I think all rabbits are beautifull in thier own way :lol:

saying that neela was an uppy eared rabbit and i doted on her, her temperment was fab :love: I do love uppy ears, they have a quirky cute look whereas i think lops look more sleepy and "squidgy" :p

I personally dont think so...XD:lol:
With breeds, I find its not just the look, but the other qualitys of the breed. Such as temperment and size (I find smaller rabbits easier to hold so prefer to have them as pets than to bigger rabbits- but I actually have some large rabbits and I love them just as much, I just find them harder to pick up)
Also, as you know neenee, I do love a certain colour on a rabbit ;):lol:. Dosent mean I like the rabbit more, just that i like the colour. I think all rabbits are beautifull in thier own way :lol:

who can blame you! Your rabbits colour is yummy :love:

If I was looking for a bunny and there was one locally whose looks didn't appeal particularly (and their personality/situation was perfect), I wouldn't wait for a 'prettier' one. But if there were several that were all equal in every other way, I'd go for an uppy eared one, because that's my preference.

we all fall for different things, don't we? that's what makes the world go round. I do have a soft spot for lops, but that being said, I've often seen an uppy eared rabbit and melted! i didn't intend on getting my zeke, he wasnt what i was looking for, i was biding my time for being fully moved and wanted a bonded pair of older rabbits, but ended up with 12 week old zeke who had been attacked by guineas and ended up with growths on him and was due to go back to the breeder to be inhumanely killed. once i knew about him, there was no way i could give him up. unfortunately, because the growths keep on coming back, we couldn't get him a friend as they may catch it too, but zeke is happy on his own anyway! luckily!

I dont think theres anything wrong with preferring a certain colour etc.

I didnt even know what Rodge looked like when I decided to rescue him, my friend just turned up at midnight with him in his cage. :( Poor thing, hes gorgeous though! :love:

When I got Orla, I decided to go for personality, I needed a confident bun who was happy to be held. I got uppy eared Orla......then her ears flopped over 2 weeks later. :lol:

Before I got my first bunny I wanted a lop but got a lionhead x, then I still wanted a lop to bond with her and I got a harlequin lionhead x (her choice not mine) and now I love bunnies with uppy ears the bigger the better!! I love fostering and finding out all the different bunnies personalities. I would say don't rule a bunny out just cause it wasn't what you particularly wanted (I had a black foster bun which I would never have picked out myself but totally fell in love with her)

If I was looking for a bunny and there was one locally whose looks didn't appeal particularly (and their personality/situation was perfect), I wouldn't wait for a 'prettier' one. But if there were several that were all equal in every other way, I'd go for an uppy eared one, because that's my preference.

That's how I feel too. When I was looking for a wife for Alfie, as there was no rush I was searching for a while and was completely shallow :lol: and chose Bubbles for her looks (although obviously it helped that they bonded really easily too).

If anything were to happen to one of my buns now though :( and the surviving bun was badly pining and needed company very quickly then I think it would be a case of letting them choose a partner even if he/she isn't the most appealing to me (although they're all so appealing I don't think that'd be an issue :love:).

I don't think its wrong at all, especially as there are so many buns out there waiting for new homes, you're bound to find one that matches your criteria.
I've recently had this discussion with myself, seeing all the gorgeous rexes on here up for new homes from RSPCA manchester. I've decided that once I get enough space, I will be looking for more rexes :love: not that I don't get bowled over by the other buns that are looking for homes, its just I think i've got a good set-up for my 2 here and I know how to set things up so they don't get sore hocks etc so i think i'm maybe doing the rexy buns a favour as they sometimes appear a bit more high maintenance than other types, and also other people who might not want to be bothered with the faff about their feet etc.
Not that I proclaim to be any kind of expert like other rex owners on here :shock:, but I'm getting there.

I have always preferred the look of lops. My first two buns were lovely uppy eared from a girl who's rabbits 'accidentally' bred. I didn't choose them, I just wanted to help them out and rehomed two. I now have 9 rescue buns (and one of the uppy eared is still going at 12) and none of mine are lops! I had two who died and have always taken whatever fit with whatever bond or set up. I don't regret not having a lop - I love all my bunnies equally (though they are all different) but I do still love the squidgy grumpy look of lops. I am nto taking anymore though. Lop or no lop! :evil::shock:
We all know what we like. It's like breeds of dog or something. I love all dogs but 'prefer' certain breeds, sizes, temperaments to others.

I just love lops, my 2nd bun HAD to be a mini lop, I wasn't bothered about the colour, then I got Dolly, although I'm becoming quite partial to uppy eared buns...particularly Thirants's :D

I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting a certain breed/colour/whatever.

I do think it's wrong to keep breeding buns for a look when it leads to health complications (ie, striving for flatter faces in nethies or longer ears in english lops).

I know it's different but it's like with dog rescues. A lot of the 'uglier dogs' will take longer to find a home, but there's no shame in picking one that's aesthetically pleasing because at the end of the day they all need a home.

Temperament wins over looks every time though! After neela i would love another cuddly rabbit :) I got a french lop because i heard they were "dog like" and friendly, completely true chiron is so laid back. When i go into my hutch and see my loppy cute faced bunnies my heart melts :love: i have to admit though, there was a dog in the pound a few years back, it had no teeth, mange, extremely skinny and had 3 legs. Me and my mum tried so hard to get him but he had sooo many homes lined up.

I don't think it is wrong. I fell in love with Hayden and Dudley because their "look" made me smile with their little hairdo's. On the other hand, Lucy is not the prettiest bunny in my eyes when I first got her, but now she is very pwetty and I think that comes with getting to know them if that makes sense.
I feel bad admitting it but if I saw a picture of Lucy she wouldn't be my first choice but I am happy I rescued her. It made me realise that a bunny is a bunny no matter what they look like and they all deserve a chance. It makes me sad that not so pretty bunnies don't get new homes very quickly because of the way they look. Saying that, I just can't help falling in love with buns with funky hairdos now as they make me smile.

No not at all when I took B and C to meet Dutchie both me and Abi said what beautiful babies Dutchie and Bella would have (if they both werent done!) and to be honest I did choose him for his colouring.

I don't think its 'wrong' as such, but I do think its quite narrow minded and because of that 'criteria' you might miss out on a cracking personality in an 'uglier' bunny.

I think there is nothing wrong with having preferences but not allowing that to dictact who you get is probably more likely to mean you get a rabbit you want and click with on more levels than just looks.

I'm a nethie person by choice, but some of the rabbits who totally go against that (all lops or lop crosses) have been the most amazing rabbits with the best personalities, ever. Had I only restricted myself to nethies I would have missed out on all those wonderful bunnies.

Back