• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Such an upsetting week

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
We lost our internet connection for a few days so instead of updating all the individual threads thought I would do one update on all buns here. I have found this week so emotionally draining, it has been a real struggle :(

As you know it started with the loss of Nancy despite her begging me with her eyes to make her better :( And also Nutmeg has developed a lower respiratory infection. Originally she prescribed metacam as an anti inflammatory but then we got an urgent message not to use it and to call her back. It turns out that from Nutmeg's previous vet notes that she has a calcified kidney and calcification of the pelvis :shock: I am so upset to only now find this out. We have had her nearly a year and only knew about her bladder problems, my poor girl we had no idea how poorly she has been all this time :(:( We are now struggling to work out what meds she can have to help her breathing problems.

I have had many sleepless nights and tears in the past week thinking that Daisy was leaving us this week. But she is still here :) The vet was happy that she is still relatively comfortable and we have managed to keep her weight at a fairly good level. Both Dave and Daisy actually seem to understand that they have been given extra time and are happier and closer than ever before :) And while I am over the moon that she is still here, a part of me is still worrying like mad about her health knowing that she will still have to leave us shortly. It is very exhausting.

Lily has developed a large cataracts which has moved her lens and has the potential to cause her a lot of pain, so needs extra observation. She has been blind since birth so it isn't bothering her much at the moment, but she is now at least 9 and becoming increasingly frail :(

Valerie needed a dental yesterday, and the most upsetting news was about Wesley :cry: I am in pieces about it although deep down I knew it was coming. He went for his first acupuncture session and the vet gave him a complete joint check. Wesley is in a lot of pain in his leg and pelvis :( His pelvis is starting to rotate and move out of place :( This means amputation isn;t an option any more. he is now completely out of options. We need to see if the acupuncture works if not we have to let him go. He can have up to another 2 sessions so has 2 weeks to improve, at £70 a time its not cheap but we will try anything for him as he is such a special boy :love: He is hardly eating or moving now so we need him to improve really soon, Wesley is my last link to Elwood and Eddie so the thought of loosing him is unbearable :(

Toby had his check up and is doing well :) He still has really stinky breath but there is no sign of pus in his mouth so because his mouth was infected for so long he may always have smelly breath. That will be pleasant as he loves his face kisses :lol:

Herman isn't doing so well, as well as kidney problems we now suspect he has liver issues too. We need to get a 3 day poo sample and dependent on results we will then do further tests. In the mean time he desperately needs a dental but we really need to find out what else is going on before he has a GA. At least he seems happier now we have moved him inside and keeps sneaking up the stairs into our bedroom!

Sorry for the essay :oops: It has been such a tough week, I feel like my head is going to explode :( And in between all that I am spending hours baking Christmas bunny biscuits to try to raise money to pay for all the vet bills!

Sorry you've had such a tough week. :( It such an awful shock about Nutmeg, as she has been looking well. The phot of her pinching a piece of hay from Onslow's mouth is a real classic. To be honest I don't quite understand what a calcified kidney and pelvis means.:?

On a brighter note, I'm sure there will be a queue for the bunny biscuits.:D I also want to order some of the new greetings cards, but can't find their thread at the moment so off for another look.

:( I just wish I could wrap you and your bunnies up in a massive hug. Maybe one day I can.

I'm sorry this week has been so, so torrid for you all.

Liz you've had a terrible week, I really feel for you and all your poorly bunnies:cry:

As a sanctuary, like us, we know that we are dealing with the sticky end of the wicket, and the bad news often outweighs the good.
People like you, and Louise at Hopper, who dedicate their lives to these poor rabbits that need so much care, and have no where else to go, amaze me.

Stay strong x

Thank you.

I think some rabbits get to you more than others and Nancy, Wes and Daisy have really got to me this week :(

Gosh Liz, as ever I am in awe of how you manage to cope with it all, worrying about one elderly bunny is enough stress for me and I'm sure I can only begin to understand what its like!

Is there anything I can do to help? Will PM you.

You poor thing!

Sending ((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))) to you and all of your lovely buns.

:love:

sending lots of love, positive and get well vibes. i'm so sorry to hear about all the sickness in your beautiful bunnies. wesley has always been my favorite of yours, i hope he has a miracle and starts eating and something happens to help him. poor you and poor bunnies. i really am thinking of you all xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I wish I could wave a magic wand and make it all better :(

Nancy was heartbreaking just to read about, I know it must have been a million times worse for you.

Lots of vibes and hugs for you and your bunnies xxx

Btw - looking forward to buying some bunny biscuits, mine have only ever had one bag - deprived buns or what!:lol:

sending lots of love, positive and get well vibes. i'm so sorry to hear about all the sickness in your beautiful bunnies. wesley has always been my favorite of yours, i hope he has a miracle and starts eating and something happens to help him. poor you and poor bunnies. i really am thinking of you all xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you, Wesley is booked in for more acupuncture next Friday :)

I'm sorry to hear about everything happening with you and the bunnies at the moment; it must be so emotionally and physically draining for you both. :(

Huge hugs. You are both doing a brilliant job and it's so sad that the nature of the bunnies you take in means there aren't more happy endings. x

Sorry to hear the sad news Liz :cry: I really hope the acupuncture works for Wesley, I didn't think it would help me but it has so finger corssed for him, he is such a sweetie. Vibes for all the other bunnies as well xx

sorry things are rubbish, its always hard when little ones are poorly but especially when they are still just babies.
vibes for everyone :love:

Oh that sounds so stressful :( My bunnies have actually never tried any of your bunny biscuits, I think they may get some in their stocking this year! :love:

Gosh what an awful week :( I really dont know how you do it sending lots of hugs and vibes that the bunnies start getting better to give you some respite. Also sorry to hear about Nutmeg I too thought she was doing OK :( sending her and Onslow some nose rubs!

Back