• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ben: Being tested to Ring Worm or Nodular Myxi

Saffy1999

Warren Scout
Please don't judge me .. I come here for help.

We have two Netherland Dwarf rabbits, one of whom had her Myxi jab earlier this Autumn. She then went in for neuter a week or so later and during the time she was away (recuperating) from Benji, he took ill. He lost so much weight you could feel his ribs.

I took him to the vets and she was unsure as his stomach felt fine, his teeth were fine .. all in all he seemed healthy, but skinny. She did give him some anti biotics just in case and I syringe fed him Recovery.

I asked at the time about the Myxi jab but he said he was going through too much at the moment to have that on top of his illness.

It soon turned out his illness was pining for Luna .. and as soon as they were back together he was eating like a horse ..thought I was still giving him a daily 5mg of rescue.

We noticed about 5 days ago, one his eyelids seemed a little bald and pink. I put this down initially to using straw as his bedding as I have only ever used hay before, on top of cardboard and shavings ... the straw was put on top of the cardboard and the hay on top of that, then masses of hay on top of that ... All in all their mattress was a giid 6 inch deep.

Yesterday I noticed his eyelid seemed pinker, so got him into the vets who though perhaps it may be mites (I'd used some panacur that morning) though he's not scratching .. or ring worm .. so she pulled a good bit of hair from him eye lid area. (Bless him, he was a perfect patient) She is sending that away to be diagonosed.

She said if it is not ring worm then they will have to take a skin scrape which will involve sedation obviously.

She has given me some cream to put on once a day Fucithalmic

He is eating fine .. and pooping fine .. and apart from his eye lids is the same old Ben. I've put some more ointment on and it doesnt look red any more. And I've put him back in with Luna .. as we seperated them last night, but reading another post, this could possibly be more stressful than keeping them seperate .. also, the vet said not to seperate them.

My daughter noticed a bare patch under his chin too .. but Ive not been able to to look properly at that as yet as he was stressed after the vet visit.

I'm putting up two pics .. one taken with flash the other without.

She took quite a lot of hair, so it looks more bald than it was ..

SAM_0598.JPG

SAM_0597.JPG

This is a very close up ... it's not as big a patch as it looks .. and remember, he is a Nethie, so small.

Thank you for any advice ..

Ben is my hero ... he's five and half and is my heart rabbit.

P.S. The pinkness is no more .. it's just the same as the rest of the skin around it.

I'm sorry I have no advice but didn't want to read and run. I hope things turn out ok for you and the gorgeous Ben.

Thank you for taking the time out to read and reply ... I'm grateful.

He's acting just the same as he always is this morning. He's back in with Luna. I've been out and detolled the patio and given it a good scrub and just waiting for my daughter to help me round with the cage.

He sat on the table whilst I put ointment on one eye, then would you believe it, turned his head so I could do the other. :love:

SAM_0027.JPG

Not long after we got Luna. Ben was a bit of a porkie then as he had been eating Mookie's share of the food. (She'd sadly died about two weeks before this pic - she and Ben were bonded)

Just a word of caution, if the vet suspects ring worm you'd be best to wear gloves etc when in direct contact as its a zoonose which means you could get it too.

The name is quite deceptive, its actually a fungal infection and has nothing to do with worms. It gets its name is the mark is normally circular in shape.

Just a word of caution, if the vet suspects ring worm you'd be best to wear gloves etc when in direct contact as its a zoonose which means you could get it too.

The name is quite deceptive, its actually a fungal infection and has nothing to do with worms. It gets its name is the mark is normally circular in shape.
Thank You .. I've actually had it ! A week before I was due to be married too .. soon clears up though thank heavens.

Ben is racing around with Luna as I speak .. he certainly doesn't "act" ill .. Prayers!

Sending vibes for Ben, I hope it isn't ringworm or myxi! Don't feel bad about not vaccinating him when he was poorly xx

The cage is outside and he's busy noshing on fresh hay at the moment. His eye looks .. just bald really .. no redness there at all.

I'm still convinced it was the loose hay or straw we got from the garden centre.

Please let it be just that !

Back