• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

is this a bad sign?

stranger23

Mama Doe
Ok i want to bond my 2 males with my female both boys have been neutered but my girl is to young at the mo so just letting them all see each other thru bars atm, her cage is next to the sofa and when the boys are aloud to free roam they come over and have a nose at her, shadow seems really interested in susie and shows no signs of aggression to her but punch keeps attacking the side of the cage, i say attacking it may not be that just what it looks like, he scratches at the cage when he can see her but when he can only smell her he is just nosy like shadow is, punch bite me the other day as i was trying to put them to bed but he wanted to scratch at the cage and when my hand got near he turned around and grabbed me it wasnt to bad a bite just a big shock but now im worried that punch isnt going to get on with susie and i wont be able to bond her with them ive not seen any referred aggression between shadow and punch tho.

no, not bad at all.

Your males are being territorial over their area, and she's invading it as far as they are concerned.

When bonding, in a neutral area, it will be very different.

There isnt an area that the boys havent been unless i use the kids bathroom but im a bit nervous to put them in there as my kids are quite young and still stick fingers thru bars :( wouldnt want them to be nipped and punch doesnt like it when fingers are in his cage, my 4 year old is being toilet trained so is always in and out of the bathroom unsupervised there is also the problem of the radiator in the bathroom as it doesnt turn off and cant be turned down or anything i think it might be to warm for the bunnies to be near

There isnt an area that the boys havent been unless i use the kids bathroom but im a bit nervous to put them in there as my kids are quite young and still stick fingers thru bars :( wouldnt want them to be nipped and punch doesnt like it when fingers are in his cage, my 4 year old is being toilet trained so is always in and out of the bathroom unsupervised there is also the problem of the radiator in the bathroom as it doesnt turn off and cant be turned down or anything i think it might be to warm for the bunnies to be near

Then you'll need to clean an area with 50:50 White Vinegar:Warm Water to make it neutral, for your buns to be bonded in. You'll need a small area also, so an indoor cage / puppy pen, which must also be neutral.

Not ideal i know, but its only temporary for ~2 weeks or so whilst being bonded.

Before i bonded George into my trio, Daisy would 'attack' the run George was in... But once i put them in the cage to bond, yes she was the most difficult but after the first day she was fine. She was just making sure he knew he was bottom of the group :lol:

But they bonded fine and now all live outside happily together :D :love:
Infact their bond is stronger than it was when it was just the 3.

It sounds like a territorial issue, so make sure you do the bonding in a neutral area, and a small space and keep a good eye on them.
There are lots of people on this forum who can give you advice about bonding when you start, so dont be afraid to ask! :wave: :D

Thank you everyone, do i clean the rugs with the vinegar solution? Ive got C&C type things so i can make them all cages susie is in one as she is so little its a 1 square wide by 2 squares long and 2 high and 2 levels but even tho it sounds small she can have a good run in it and is given time in the run to have a good run about and play :) Also when i let them out to go in the run when im bonding do i put them all in as i can put 2 runs up (the c&c cages you can make anything with so will make runs with them) as normally the boys get to free roam the house but susie is still to little she can get into gaps where the boys cant so im trying to make the living room safe for her before she is aloud to free roam

you could also ask a rescue to bond them for you, there is Tracy in Rugby and I think its Honeybunny's in Leicester :wave:

Back