• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How to tell if rabbits have fur mites or just dry skin?

AriaSwan

Warren Scout
My rabbit scratches often so I have been looking him over, and I found a few very small flakes that do not move, but also when I gently scratch his skin more flakes appear. Is this flaky skin or mites possibly?

You don't see mites, so it could be them.

The vet can take a skin scrape and put it under a microscope. It is a very simple process and the treatment is easy to apply if it is mites.

It recently cost us £40 for both my lops to be treated for mites. Vet only charged us one consult and one Ivermectin injection however as he did everything for Mischa (sellotape test and looking at it under the microscope), took one look at Mini and could tell it was the same thing. About three quarters of that cost was an Ivermectin spray which I've used on my other pair and on their home and also on them as a topup to the injection. The spray is going to last me ages and it's nice having it so that maybe once a year I can go over them just as a maintenance option. The dry skin hasn't completely gone yet but looks a lot better.

Incidentally since starting the mite treatment Mischa feels to the touch much better weight wise and is getting a bit of flesh on his spine so it's been affecting him in more ways than just the flaky skin (mine didn't itch much with it).

It recently cost us £40 for both my lops to be treated for mites. Vet only charged us one consult and one Ivermectin injection however as he did everything for Mischa (sellotape test and looking at it under the microscope), took one look at Mini and could tell it was the same thing. About three quarters of that cost was an Ivermectin spray which I've used on my other pair and on their home and also on them as a topup to the injection. The spray is going to last me ages and it's nice having it so that maybe once a year I can go over them just as a maintenance option. The dry skin hasn't completely gone yet but looks a lot better.

Incidentally since starting the mite treatment Mischa feels to the touch much better weight wise and is getting a bit of flesh on his spine so it's been affecting him in more ways than just the flaky skin (mine didn't itch much with it).

Okay, I'll probably go get my pair tested. It also might be fleas because they were out in the grass all summer and fall. Bentley has a very bony spine but a little squishy tummy underneath him :lol: but his fur feels very healthy and soft.

Back