• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

HELP 2nd Water Bottles Leaking 247....... Really Irratating!

AshnGrace

Young Bun
Hi

Hope your all well :) I have a issue I need some advice with. Do water bottles ever stop leaking? Got the standard **** one that drips, so spend £5 on a posh glass one at Pets At Home (the local independant only had the standard **** ones!) Driving me insane constantly pulling out wet saw dust and replacing it with dry stuff, for it to just get wet again!

Ashngrace

Can you use a bowl?

Also, sawdust aint too good for bunnies, it can cause breathing problems.

I get this with both my water bottles. I believe either the hay experts or animal magic have a new type of bottle that doesn't reply on gravity so no drips (or something like that) I believe it was about £10-£20 though. Not sure entirely, worth checking out though. I think it was animal magic :S

As said before - bowls are better. They dont get covered in that green algae stuff and most buns prefer them because drinking one drop at a time is incredibly irritating! I'd get them a bowl, preferably heavy so they cant tip it over, and change from shavings to shredded paper or straw for winter.

Okay he love to eat paper so I can give him that! So I guess it will be straw!
I will try a bowl instead as he doesnt seem to tip it over!

If they are litter trained simply newspaper will probably do. :thumb: Assuming they have plenty of hay in their litter trays.

As for water bottles I gave up with mine. The EziFilla ones are fabulous and don't leak unless you have a bunny like Mischa who pushes the valve up with his nose and lets the water drip down and drinks from the resulting 'stream'. :roll: My lionheads had one too and there was never a drop underneath, it's just the way Mischa likes to drink. We now use large dog bowls and I'll never go back to bottles.

Mine don't really drip. I use the standard plastic classic ones and the savic 1L bottle. As long as you fill them all the way to the top and get out all the air bubbles they're fine. You get a couple of drips when you first attach them, but they stop naturally.

I have two living world bottles, the large size and they dont leak.

37393_1.jpg

I got mine from a pet shop but you can get them at Zooplus Click here

I do have the expensive sippy ones that do seem to leak. I will be replacing them with the standard savic ones when these ones need replacing next year. I personally don't use bowls as they do get knocked over and trod in all the time. Mine are bad enough throwing their empty food bowls out of their hutches :roll:

I have used a savic one and I found filling it to the top prevented leaks as well as sometimes squeezing a few drops out helped set up a vacuum within the bottle to stop the water eeping out.

Helen xx

I do have the expensive sippy ones that do seem to leak. I will be replacing them with the standard savic ones when these ones need replacing next year. I personally don't use bowls as they do get knocked over and trod in all the time. Mine are bad enough throwing their empty food bowls out of their hutches :roll:

I have used a savic one and I found filling it to the top prevented leaks as well as sometimes squeezing a few drops out helped set up a vacuum within the bottle to stop the water eeping out.

Helen xx

I use big dog bowls, there is no way in the world they can move these when full! I keep them away from their litter trays and hay so that no rubbish gets in them. Not viable for everyone I know but works for us.

I am glad you asked the question because my water bottles all leak all 6 of them!
Tia hates wet paper and if the smallest amount goes on the paper she pulls up the whole lot and chucks it on the living room carpet. :lol: I couldn't use bowls though because she tips even the heavy ones over when they have food in preferring to eat from the floor. Bracken just stands back and watches his wife until she calms down. :lol:

Back