• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bouncy Bun!

Tasmin's MOB

Mama Doe
My bun Bernard is a house rabbit and has free run of the house when we are at home but when we go out we leave him in a room upstairs where he has his cage (the door left open for him) food, water, toys, tunnels to run through etc.
Up until recently he was always very well behaved and would go straight into his room without any fuss, however he seems to be a lot more difficult now.

It always seems to depend on what mood he is in as to whether he will go in the room or not, if he is being stubborn it can take up to 15 minutes of chasing him round the house to get him back in. (obviously we try not to stress him out)

Another thing that I have noticed is that he is binkying a lot more lately and running around like a nutcase whenever he feels like it. He also seems a lot more comfortable around us and enjoys having a cuddle and lots of kisses!!

He seems to think he is the boss of the house and has also started running around my legs making squeaking noises! (I think this is a sign of adulthood??)

He is about 8 months old now and we haven't had him neutered because we are worried that he will change.

Any ideas why he is starting to misbehave? is it because he is growing up and becoming more comfortable around us or is he unhappy in his room by himself?

I'm no expert but yes I'd put it down to hormones. My Thumper recently got neutered and his personality hasn't changed at all. He was never naughty though. Only thing thats "improved" is he enjoys a fuss a bit more now. I think it'd be a good way forward to go getting him neutered, also you could get him a friend so he has some one to play with? Could keep him occupied at those "boring times".

Yep, definitely hormones. I haven't experienced it with my own rabbit, but I got him at 7 months so he may already have gone through that phase. My friend's rabbit was indoors last winter, and his behaviour was very like what you describe.

Back