• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just took the 2 rabbits i rescued to get their nail cut :(

stranger23

Mama Doe
I just took the rabbits i got off someone as they "dont have time for them anymore" the girl who cut them for me said it doesnt look like they have been done in over a year they were all curly and some had shattered :( one of the rabbits (lucky) needs his teeth sorting as they are quite long and starting to separate :( any ideas how much that might cost to get done? ive brought them some wooden toys to gnaw on to help them lucky also needs to go on a diet any ideas how i should go about this? ive just put them on russell rabbit as they were on wilkos feed and was told they only eat those types and the wilkos one has so much sugar in it at least russell rabbit is slightly healthier, they havent been given veg before just grass to chew so ive started offering them veg but lucky isnt to happy about it and wont touch anything but carrots from what ive tried (celery, carrots, cabbage and peppers) so any tips on what veg he might like altho rodgers nails were worse he is in much better condition so with a bit of work i think they will both be lovely healthy and happy rabbits :)

:wave:Well done you, sounds like you have 2 lucky buns (and your work cut out for you)
be careful with cabbage as it can make them gassy (not if they don't like it tho!) - the basis of my buns veg is spring greens - cheap and usually plentiful in supermarkets). They get free ranging to nibble on grass etc and in the summer I pick wild stuff for them which is their favourites.
they also like sprouts (again, potential gas), broccoli, cucumber, sugar snap peas and mange tout. All intrroduced slowly and in very small quantities.
they should have lots and lots of nice hay above everything else, that should be the basis of their diet.
i don't know about dental costs but it could be quite expensive (over £100 for sure)
Not sure how much mix you are giving but only give a bit of that to encourage them to eat nice hay.
Hope this helps a bit

Well done for rescuing these two :)

Dental problems....Is it the front teeth (incisors) or back teeth (molars) causing the problem? The cost of vet treatment will depend on which teeth are affected and exactly what treatment is needed....could be anything from £10 to over £100.

Feeding...I agree with JLG, be careful about feeding too much veg if they aren't used to it. The rubbish mix they've previously been fed has probably contributed to the dental problems...so try to get them onto a diet of hay, good quality pellet (Science Selective usually goes down well) and limited veg.

N.B. Depending on the severity of the dental problems, Lucky may not be able to eat a normal diet, and might need his pellets soaking and veg grated or cut up into very small pieces.

Its the front teeth the we know for sure the rabbits werent very happy with us looking in their mouths after having their nails cut, im not bothered by how much it costs just need to get the money together first so need to know a sort of price, i will see if they like spring greens then and give less food to make sure they eat hay, they were only given hay as bedding before so dont eat much ive got them proper timothy hay to eat and will pick up some mangers so its not just on the hutch floor like it is at the mo. Lucky's teeth are not to bad from what we could see they had just started to split apart at the top

Back