• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much hay do you get through?

Livi

Alpha Buck
I have 2 buns - and we get through a 1kg bag of the Dandelion & Marigold Excel hay a week, plus a 3kg bag of Hay - we probably get about 9/10 days out of the 3kg bag....

It isnt a problem and I am happy to ensure they get what they enjoy, but I didnt realise when I first got them how much hay they consume - I am shocked!!!!! :lol:

i dont know the weight of my bags as they dont say on them, but its a 'Jumbo' bag and i would assume it weighs ~4-5Kg - that lasts ~ 1 and a half weeks.

When my rabbits were indoor buns they would only get through afew bags a month but now they are outdoor im going through about 8 x 1kg bags month. I guess winter approaching is half the reason.
Must look into getting larger bags or a bale! x

two bunnies, two piggies, per month -

2x dustfreehay 10 bales, 5 soft 5 stalky (10 soft and 10 stalky a month)
2x burns green oat hay
1-2x oxbow oat hay
1-2x oxbow timothy hay

soooooooo much hay! :shock:

I have a huge bale and I thought it was endless, didn't really notice how much they actually ate, last week it turned out the bale was NOT endless :oops: I ran out on sundayevening.

Now they always get a handfull (each) of "special" hay (Readigrass, timothy, somethign with herbs) and I had a 500 gram bag of that left. But tuesdayevening that was empty too.... :roll:

So they eat about 250 gram a day. (I have three.)

Far too much :lol:

I have been having trouble getting hay, so had to get 2 bags of P@H Timothy hay on Sunday, which are almost finished now. Someone gave me some cheap stuff to use as well, so I've been using the 2.

we use a bale and a half a week - not sure how much a bale weighs - I can only just about lift it so I would guess at about 30 kilos.

Last edited:
I was using a bale a fortnight, but a bale is only lasting me about a week and a half now.

I think a bale is 22kg approx.

I have two house buns, and I could not keep up with the hay consumption since I got Carlo. He seems to have taught Bobby that you eat masses of hay! I now buy a bale for a fiver and it lasts about six weeks :wave:

We get a bale split between two large boxes and we get through both boxes (so roughly one bale) every 4-6wks that is for two small rabbits! :shock::D
This years cut has been more brittle and so there is more wastage at the bottom of the box so it's been a redelivery every 4 weeks since summer.

If somebody in Leeds can point me in the direction of a place I can buy a bale from would be muchus appreciated :)

gosh I knew my bun wasnt a great hay eater but this has really opened my eyes! I get through about a 3kg P@H hay bag and one and a half of those woodlands timothy bags a month....

The hundred happy hoppers here get through 7-10 bales a week:shock: With a little help from the piggies of course.

wow so much hay! :)
anyone can point me in the direction where they6 sell good bale of hay in or near london area?

thanks
zincee

Back