• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

help - mum wasnt impressed this morning: New Question, post: 28

As some of you might know, my buns have just come inside and im waiting for a new, bigger pen to be delivered along with some water resistant interlocking mats. Until then, they are on tarp and fleece. My parents words were "If they smell, their back outside" :shock:

Mum came in this morning while i was still in bed and she complained about the smell of urine. They are going in their tray to pee, but occasionally miss and it goes on the fleece, so this obviously causes a smell. Im hoping this will stop being a problem once the water res mats come.

Ive been a little lazy and only being putting newspaper and hay in their litter tray as i dont want to use shavings anymore, in which case i should probably get some cat litter.

Once the new pen is up and running, and ive got some decent litter, will this stop the smell. Please say yes! :(

I cant smell it myself because i sleep in here, unless im actually on the floor with them when they miss the tray.

ETA: Any reccomendations for cheapish cat litter? Carefresh is too expensive for the size of the pack.

Last edited:
My room is usually smell free unless the guinea pigs are due for a cage clean. The buns litter tray can get very smelly but if changed every other day is absolutely fine. My room mainly smells of hay. :D We use kitty litter made from 100% recycled paper products. We can get a huge bag and it is cheap so very cost effective.

I use megazorb now because I have have lots of bunnies but when I only had a few I used pelleted sawdust cat litter...always found it very absorbant and good with smell.

I use cat litter and mine dont smell:D

I know, but which cat litter? Ive never bought it before and so have no idea what makes a good litter :lol: I know it has to be none clumping though and thats it! :lol:

They cant go back outside, they have so much more room in here, Marley finally has the chance to nom his hay in peace while Dolly is binkying round my room flying between my wardrobe and behind my bed! :lol: :love:

The natural unscented wood pellets (cat litter) is good but the best would be Megazorb which is really good if you can get that!! I would also get a higher sided litter tray/hay basket so they can't physically wee over the edge!! I have a large dog basket which obviously has a lower side and Daisy always hangs her bum over the edge to wee:lol:

I know, but which cat litter? Ive never bought it before and so have no idea what makes a good litter :lol: I know it has to be none clumping though and thats it! :lol:

They cant go back outside, they have so much more room in here, Marley finally has the chance to nom his hay in peace while Dolly is binkying round my room flying between my wardrobe and behind my bed! :lol: :love:

:lol:sorry i use antimicrobial wood pellets they are non-clumping from pets at home says it has superior odour control:D

Thanks guys,

cant get to pets at home this week as its miles away, will have a look round the supermarket as im going for bunny veg too today.

Give it a few days, if it doesnt work, ill be back! :wave:

I hope you can sort this out and keep your bunnies indoors with you, I love having buns indoors.
When i had a cat, used wood pellet litter (beauticat), it actually smelt quite nice. I now use "white shredded paper" that i buy in big bales, its similar to the tiny bags of hamster paper bedding, i dont have too much of a wee smell using this.

Well ill start with some basic wood based litter, then work my way up! :lol:

I WILL find something to get rid of the smell, but the sooner my pen comes, the sooner i can order the right number of mats and hopefully if they miss the tray i can jusp mop it up and it wont be a problem.

Ive just cleaned the litter tray and changed the blanket, half an hour later it stinks cos Marly missed :roll: They dont help themselves!

try supermarket own brand litters, but i think you need to make sure it's not clumping as i dont think that'd suit rabbits, also maybe look if they mention "antibacterial" on the packaging

Ive just cleaned the litter tray and changed the blanket, half an hour later it stinks cos Marly missed They dont help themselves!

Sounds like you could definitely do with a higher sided litter tray to make sure the wee goes where it should. Once you have achieved that it sounds like your problems could be solved because at least your bunnies know to go to the litter tray :D

Sounds like you could definitely do with a higher sided litter tray to make sure the wee goes where it should. Once you have achieved that it sounds like your problems could be solved because at least your bunnies know to go to the litter tray :D

I know :) my priorty for the moment though is getting their new setup sorted as im not that happy with how it is at the moment and ive already gone into my savings for christmas shopping!! :oops: :lol:

Once that up and running and ive paid my stable rent and phone bill im hoping to go toy shopping, and ill add a higher sided litter tray to my ever expanding list! :lol:

if they are missing the tray try an underbed storage box :) mine use to miss but they don't with the boxes

hiya

we use this for litter and it lasts us ages

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/ligh...pellet-cat-litter-30ltr-by-pets-at-home-15259

then we use a plastic storage box from B&Q as a litter box which they jump in and out of (fine for now but as Duke gets older may have to get something which just slightly lower sides). I'm not sure how much they were but couldnt be more than £6/7??

We put newspaper in the bottom, litter on top and then lots of hay - no smells and very happy bunnies. We change it every 2-3 days. :D

hiya

we use this for litter and it lasts us ages

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/ligh...pellet-cat-litter-30ltr-by-pets-at-home-15259

then we use a plastic storage box from B&Q as a litter box which they jump in and out of (fine for now but as Duke gets older may have to get something which just slightly lower sides). I'm not sure how much they were but couldnt be more than £6/7??

We put newspaper in the bottom, litter on top and then lots of hay - no smells and very happy bunnies. We change it every 2-3 days. :D

Everyone seems to go to p@h for their litter, so next time dad goes for puppy bits and pieces, ill tag along :)

Sainsburys didnt have any pet litter :shock: only the mineral stuff, so ive bought some from the pet shop and will pick it up later. I couldnt carry it all as i had my veggies and the 2 dogs, one of whom is just 15weeks and everything that moves is just the best thing EVER!! :lol:

Back