• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

averge wieght of a rex?

beccimarie

Mama Doe
i was watching animal madhouse and saw the huuuge rabbit, although my vet has said poppy is not over wieght she has a bit on the front like that rabbit but not that big, i just woundered everyone with rex's, what is there wieght so i could get a average? there main diet is hay and grass and casper is on the verge of underwieght.. think i just worry :oops:

sorry i havnt been very specific :oops: shes a standard and obviously a girl, my problem started when she got spayed .. hormones :roll: but the vet said you can feel her ribs and her back so that means she is fine :roll: id love her to be leaner, casper and her eat together and will not be separted, casper is nearly underwieght as i have to keep the pellets down because of poppy :roll: very difficult

Last edited:
mine are standards and both about 3kg :shock: - I worried that they were a bit heavy but the vet was happy and said they are quite muscly through being outdoors/active types. They don't have any bald bits on their feet so i'm ok with that.
breed standard says about 2.5kg I think?
I still worry..........................:oops:

My rex is really tiny but I'm not sure of exact weight. Think he may be a cross breed though because the vet was really unsure as to what sort of rex he is.
If the vet is happy and you are keeping your bun on a healthy diet etc I don't think you need to worry xx

mine are standards and both about 3kg :shock: - I worried that they were a bit heavy but the vet was happy and said they are quite muscly through being outdoors/active types. They don't have any bald bits on their feet so i'm ok with that.
breed standard says about 2.5kg I think?
I still worry..........................:oops:

she is approx 3 KG :oops: the vet does keep saying i worry to much but i dont want her to be to heavy.. its very hard as casper needs to keep his wieght but i would love poppy to loose a little, i have saying that reduced there pellets.. im going to keep an eye on caspers weight as i dont want him to go under as its winter, they will have no pellets left soon if a reduce any more, they have a big hutch and run and free range in the afternoons i dont know what else i can do?? :roll:

Could you hand feed Casper a few pellets when Poppy isn't looking? I don't know much about rexes, but if she's avoiding sore hocks that is surely a good sign that she is not too heavy for her size? I read an article about 'body-scoring' in Rabbiting On and it said a bunny's ribs should feel like a packet of pens! Spenser's do, but he's 2.9kg (or was when last weighes in September).

Could you hand feed Casper a few pellets when Poppy isn't looking? I don't know much about rexes, but if she's avoiding sore hocks that is surely a good sign that she is not too heavy for her size? I read an article about 'body-scoring' in Rabbiting On and it said a bunny's ribs should feel like a packet of pens! Spenser's do, but he's 2.9kg (or was when last weighes in September).

well what i am doing now is casper always runs upstairs at bed time to i give him two table spoons of pellets before poppy even gets upstairs he has nearly finished iv only tried it for a day but seems to be working :D, yes you can feel her ribs and she has never had sore hocks so im guessing she is ok, but she is obviously the max wieght so i would like her to maybe lose a little, she is a very good grass eater so im not to worried about how much pellets she has.

Back