• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does this sound right?

Our family is on the verge of getting my first bunny. We're convinced we can offer love, warmth and a healthy/stimulating environment. We've narrowed it down to a mini-lop that would stay in the house as there are way to many foxes around our way. I'll need some advice on a good cage and what to look out for in mini lops.
Many thanks!

I would suggest a large dog crate, adapted with two levels and many toys. Smaller cages that pet shops offer tend to be far too small.

im going to be using C&C cages for mine, they are metal grids that you put together any shape you want you can get some in b&Q if you search for wire mesh cubes you should find them :) you can make multi storey homes for them just make sure you use cable ties to help hold them together and cover the mesh on levels so it doesnt hurt the bunnys feet :)

Our family is on the verge of getting my first bunny. We're convinced we can offer love, warmth and a healthy/stimulating environment. We've narrowed it down to a mini-lop that would stay in the house as there are way to many foxes around our way. I'll need some advice on a good cage and what to look out for in mini lops.
Many thanks!

I know what you mean about foxes, it's the same where I live:(

My biggest bit(s) of advice is, first get a rescue as they are spayed/neutered first. If bucks aren't done their behaviour is disgusting when they become hormonal:oops: Does stand a 80-95% chance of developing uterine cancer if unspayed:( Plus a rescue will be able to tell you the personality of the bun(s) better than a pet shop/breeder could.

Second, bun will need a bun friend, somebun to talk bun to, I had a lone house bun first and he is so much happier with a wifebun, they snuggle and its :love:

Third, it may just be easier to bun prof one room, rather than having a huge cage.

Fourth, welcome to the forum:wave:

I definitely think bunny proofing is best. Why spend money on a cage when you can spend it on proofing and give them much more area that you can share.

Definitely go to a rescue! They'll do all the hard work neutering, spaying and bonding for you and you can come home with two better behaved bunnies that have each other when you're not around. Even if you're around a lot a human friend is nothing like a bunny friend for them.

The grids are excellent - I used to have an enclosure while I got money together to decorate and then bunnyproof and I've reused the grids in bunnyproofing, so if you do want an enclosure to start with you can make it with those and then if you go to bunnyproofing a room you can reuse them. One of my pairs also has a dog crate but it's a smallish one and isn't big enough to shut them in. Unless you have room for a 6x2x2 enclosure bunnyproofing really is your best option to give them maximum space. Even with 6x2x2 they need extra time out for exercise. The recommended minimum is 36 sq ft.

i cant offer any advise on indoor bunnys as mine are outdoor except bunny proof your house! :lol: also you say rabbit? are you only thinking about getting one? as rabbits are very social animals and love to be in pairs :D:love: o and there are so many rabbits in rescues that would love a home i would ask on here for a rescue near you :D

Others have beaten me to it with good advice, but a rescue is a good idea - apart from helping a bunny to a new home you will not have to worry about neutering.

Definately give rescue bunnies homes! These little darlings are so deserving of a 2nd chance to be the best bunnies they can be :)

I cant really give much advice on size as im always worrying if my 2 have engough room!

As other people have said, if you can bunny proof and have your new friend free ranging then that is the ideal set up for them, providing that you doint mind things being damaged/destroyed when your not around to supervise.

Its for this reason that i am getting a pen for my 2. Its a puppy pen with 8 panels that i can have as a 4x4 or 6x2. Ive bought an extra 2 panels so that i can extend it to 6x4 if i like, but i havent really decided yet.

If you want some ideas on set up, there are always pictures in the storys and photos section and the housing section.

Apart from that i cant really provid much advice, but what everyone else has said is really good advice. Good luck with your new bunny :wave:

Since I've had mine free-ranging I really have had very little destroyed to be honest. Have had to wash duvets a lot :roll: but not much lately (I'm sure they will tonight now). This was partly my fault by feeding them when I got up - they are so clever, managed to put 2+2 together and came up with weeing on me to get me up. :? During the day I cover it with a tarp just in case but they rarely wee even on the tarp. I do try to keep things as much out of their way as possible by having all my stuff in bookcases with cube panels in front or in my wardrobes and then protect other stuff with more panels or wooden log bars.

The things they have damaged are...

The wall but this was ages ago when they only had a few hours out a day.
The door - similarly this was when they went away at night.

In fact my biggest problem has been weewees with my lionheads. I put this down to Nutmeg not being spayed until latter in life.

Back