• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Winterproofing the aviary

Bitzy

Mama Doe
:wave:

So, as some of you may have noticed, I'm a bit stressed about the bunnies sitting out in the aviary in all weathers instead of going in the hutch - so rather than bring them indoors, as they really do love it outside, we've come up with a plan!!

This is the aviary as it is at the mo (except we've finished it off a bit more since these pics were taken):

Photo1215.jpg

Photo1216.jpg

The plan is to attach perspex sheets all along the bottom (probably high enough up so they can still see out if sat in their plant pots or on the little L shaped tunnel) then tarp covering the rest of the aviary - the tarp we have is from a 'party tent' (that blew down and broke) and is white with 'windows' in so it'll still be light but it'll stop the wind getting to them.

We're also going to put up a net of led lights on a dimmer switch so that I can actually see what I'm doing in there when its dark and so that it looks like stars for the bunnies!! :oops:

I think we're going to either perspex just the bottom of the door so air can get in the top half (its just to the side of the panelled bit near the hutch) or the end of the aviary which faces the house (as I want them to have fresh air but the wind doesn't blow in at them from that direction).

We're also going to carpet the upstairs of the hutch and add some insulation - its pretty protected from the elements where it is but if its noticably warmer in there than outside, they may start going in more!!

We're even thinking about some sort of heater, just to take the edge off in really cold weather - although they have lino down in the hutch, fleeces, loads of hay and a snugglesafe - they don't seem to want to go in there at night - however, they'll lay around in there all afternoon the little tinkers!!

What do you reck? Do you think that should help a bit?? The long exposed side of the run faces west which is the direction the wind comes in (we live very near the sea) so I'm hoping the perspex and tarp will keep them warm and un-windswept!!!

Sounds good to me.

I've fitted acrylic/perspex sheets to the sides or my runs for winter. I've used adhesive velcro pads so that they can be removed easily on warm days- they need to be stapled to the wood but stick firmly to the perspex.

I like the idea of the 'star' net. If you need more light the solar powered shed lights sold by maplins are good. I swapped the batteries in them for some more powerful rechargable ones and the light now lasts for longer and canbe recharged in the normal way if there hasn't been enough sun to charge them :)

Back