• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stringy poopage & ??pineapple??

Bitzy

Mama Doe
:wave:

Well my two are still having stringy poops and it would appear to be due to all the mutual grooming they're doing. I am a bit worried that they may not be passing it all though and thought I'd read somewhere that pineapple was good for this?

Not sure if I dreamt that or not or what type of pineapple (ie/ dried stuff bought from a pet shop or fresh pineapple) but could someone please clarify if I'm making stuff up or if its actually true and does help them pass any fur they may have in their tummies??!?!

Thaaaaaanks

Jo x

The fact they are passing it is really good because it shows their gut is dealing with it.

Some people say pineapple (fresh) can help because of the enzymes, others say it makes no difference. Essentially though, currently you are seeing all the signs that their gut is dealing with it effectively, which is great.

Can't answer your question properly, but it's vaguely in my mind that pineapple helps gut movement. I thought it was fresh or tinned, but not sure. Hopefully someone who knows will come along soon. Have you tried searching for pineapple threads? :wave:

Edit. Posted at the same time as Sky-O - glad you got your answer!

Last edited:
But the opposite argument is that pineapple is full of sugar which is bad for bunny tums....

I have stringy poos sometimes after I have groomed my cashies - I;m guessing the grooming loosens their fur. It doesn't seem to cause problems but I do keep an extra close eye on their poos for a few days to make sure they are pooing and that the poos are not getting smaller which is a bad sign.

Thanks everyone.

Their poops are a normal/decent size so I'll just keep an eye on them for the time being as it sounds like everything is in working order! :D

Thanks again.

When Milo got a bloackage with fur we mentioned pineapple to our vet. He said that it will irritate his gut too much and could make the situation worse. We were advised to only give him hay and water.

We have to brush him everyday to prevent this happening and with his winter moult he got through this fine.

Yes it's the bromelaine in fresh pineapple which is active as a hind gut stimulant.
The problem with pineapple is the high sugar content which can sometimes lead to dysbiosis.

The best things are regular "brushing", plenty of fiber, & keep well hydrated.

Yes it's the bromelaine in fresh pineapple which is active as a hind gut stimulant.
The problem with pineapple is the high sugar content which can sometimes lead to dysbiosis.

That's where it gets tricky .... they barely like me even stroking them, never mind brushing!! If I do bring them in for a 'proper' brush, they won't come near me for days afterwards so I tend to try and just do it with my hands whenever possible!!

That's where it gets tricky .... they barely like me even stroking them, never mind brushing!! If I do bring them in for a 'proper' brush, they won't come near me for days afterwards so I tend to try and just do it with my hands whenever possible!!

Spenser doesn't mind being brushed, but only his back (definitely NOT his front) and only if he is in the mood. If he is in the mood, he actually seems to like it. He once grabbed the brush out of my Mum's hand and ran several circuits of the pen with it in his mouth.

Yes, you can get quite a lot off that way. My bun hated the brush too, & he's high risk with a very slow gut, & on permanent gut motility drugs.
He's OK with stroking with a damp hand, or a sort gentle skin massage with my fingers, then I comb it back into order mimicking a rabbit "lick" with the last 4 - 5 fine tines of an ordinary comb. He's fine as long as I only comb the top half of his fur length.
Most buns can be distracted with food. (Mine's different :roll: )

Mine both hated being brushed. Milo would let you if he was eating and he now likes being brushed. We did try intially with damp hands which worked well too.

The brushing is all that helps Milo - we have all the drugs at home to help him and since he has been brushed only once have we had to dose him up since april.

Lola still hides when she sees the brush but luckily you can trick her!

I also don't brush my rabbits Bitzy, so don't worry. Sometimes I pluck them, but they normally detest that.

I would say hydration, hydration, hydration is the key to a happy gut in this respect.

I also don't brush my rabbits Bitzy, so don't worry. Sometimes I pluck them, but they normally detest that.

I would say hydration, hydration, hydration is the key to a happy gut in this respect.

Absolutely totally agree.
There is a current theory that mild dehydration & minimal blockage is the final trigger for a lot of stasis. It is certainly the prime issue in obstruction on fur balls.

I agree with this 100%. Regular brushing for buns who moult a lot and have a history of GI problems is essential, as it is for med-long haired buns who are not designed to cope with the vast amounts of fur they have been selectively bred to cope with. House buns also often struggle with continuous moulting. We brush both of ours daily and it certainly helps to reduce GI incidents, especially in our bloat/stasis prone bun. Mutual grooming can be a real problem if one bun is very furry.

Back