• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

winter diet

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
Sunday/Monday it was very cold here, and when I was changing frozen water bowls I couldn't resist giving Spenser a few extra pellets. I have cut them back down again, but he isn't eating his hay as well. I suspect this is my fault because why should he eat hay if he expects he may be slipped an extra pellet at an odd time? My concern is that Spenser isn't carrying any extra weight, and it is getting colder. I've tried sprinkling some of his pellets on his hay to encourage him to eat it. I know hay eating is mega-important for bunnies, but surely it is also important that they have enough energy to see them through cold nights? :?

Hay provides energy and nutrients too, bun just has to eat a lot more of it to get the same value as a spoonfull of pellets, but hay is certainly not empty calories and if possible, it is better that Spenser eats lots and lots of hay to get his energy and calories than pellets. Eating and munching all day will keep his tummy moving and generating heat.... buns are like horses in this way. Provided he has a nice thick coat, he does not need to have excess fat on him to survive winter. :):wave:

Hay provides energy and nutrients too, bun just has to eat a lot more of it to get the same value as a spoonfull of pellets, but hay is certainly not empty calories and if possible, it is better that Spenser eats lots and lots of hay to get his energy and calories than pellets. Eating and munching all day will keep his tummy moving and generating heat.... buns are like horses in this way. Provided he has a nice thick coat, he does not need to have excess fat on him to survive winter. :):wave:

Thank you - I was hoping you might see my thread as you are so knowledgeable. :) I do give Spenser a variety of hays, so at least he shouldn't get bored. I will try to keep the pellets down, although it's not easy with my parents tellling me he is starving and a big rabbit who need his food. They know very little about rabbits, but Spenser and I do live with them. :roll:

Thank you - I was hoping you might see my thread as you are so knowledgeable. :) I do give Spenser a variety of hays, so at least he shouldn't get bored. I will try to keep the pellets down, although it's not easy with my parents tellling me he is starving and a big rabbit who need his food. They know very little about rabbits, but Spenser and I do live with them. :roll:

A few extra pellets on a very cold night won't do him any harm provided they don't upset his tummy. If it gives you peace of mind then don't feel guilty about it. If you do give extra I would save them for very last thing at night so that he's already given up on you feeding them and eaten his hay first, then perhaps a little treat at bedtime if it's a cold one. I'm not much of an expert on pellets as I don't feed them and my two live indoors at 21 degrees mostly! :lol:
As long as his core temp is warm (put your hands through his fur right down to the skin to check) then he's fine. :) Plenty of exercise will warm him up too :D

ETA and i'm sure he has a lovely thick coat if he's been outside all year anyway. Rabbits fur is VERY insulating so try not to worry :)

He is a lionhead cross with fine strands of fur, but I have noticed his coat thickening as the weather has become colder. I was looking at a picture of him the day after I brought him home (back in April), and couldn't help noticing he is much sleeker looking now. He wasn't getting much exercise in his previous home, so the shape change is probably good. I'm going to try mixing some plantain and readigrass through his hay to make it more interesting for him.

:wave: Hey Susie bun

I've been worrying about this too and giving my two extra pellets and veg to try and 'feed them up' so they can keep warm! :oops:

I've also been giving them a selection of different hays hoping it'll make them eat more of that too.

After reading what prettylupin advises I may cut down a bit on the pellets/veg again to try and ensure they're eating enough hay!

I'm sooo worried about them in this cold weather! (sigh)!

I've just served Spenser's first mixture of hay, dandelion and plantain. He was very pleased, and even if he intends to pick out the plantain and dandelion, hopefully he will associate it with the hay. I buy sample bags from Animal Magic to ensure he has variety. He has seemed to favour the oat hays, but will no dowbt go off them now that I have ordered more. Good to hear from a fellow worrier. :wave: I do think it is best that we go easy on the pellets. Actually your pair have adavntage of being a couple, so they can snuggle together if they get cold.

I dont feed mines the usual egg cup of pellets because for my rabbits it doesnt work, it made them quite thin. I think it is up the the individual rabbit. I give mines a handful of pellets, ad lib hay and maybe a few more pellets at night. They are the perfect weight now :) Spenser is gorgeous by the way :love: He does look as though he has a nice thick coat, i love lionhead crosses :D

I think the important thing to remember is that bunnies seem to tollerate the cold much better than they do heat.

None of my bunnies get extra pellets in the winter. I have 11 buns in total and the only rabbit I've ever had problems with is Casper but the vet thinks this is more his individual metabolism than the weather.

Instead of increasing his pellets I gradually change him from A&P natural to A&P breeder in the run up to the winter months so that he is getting the extra protein he seems to need but his hay consumption is not effective.

Unfortunately A&P natural is quite low in protien compaired to SS and Bunny basics which is where I think my problem lies but I like the fibre content and my bunnies do well on it.

Ive been slipping the baby some extra pellets as shes so skinny anyway - you're not alone!

Indy had a few extra the other night when i went to put the blanket over his hutch and it was frozen stiff as a board :shock:

I decided this evening to cut down on the treats I have been giving Milo during the day because he doesn't eat as much hay anymore. I have only been spoiling him since the weekend so hopefully he can easily get back into the habit of eating lots of hay again.

Its a deliate balancing act this bunny diet thingy. Taking me forever to get my head around it.

Back