• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My other rabbit is poorly now :-(

amyandmillie

Young Bun
Millie lost her mate 2 weeks ago due to bad teeth making it hard for him to eat, he had his op but never recovered:cry:

we got millie a mate straight away and they bonded instantly and shared a cage from the 2nd night, now 2 weeks on millie is not well, 3 days ago she never left her cage, very very strange for her, then the last 2 days she has left but sat there in the same place. normally she come out her cage instantly and starts binkying all over the garden. i went and picked her up today and she ade no attempt to move at all and she is really floppy:(

her dew lap(?) has got massive, but it normally does get bigger in winter so not sure if i am just looking for things. she is defianlty not well.

she has an appointment in the morning at the vet, i am so worried i am going to loose her:cry:

She needs a vet tonight. Ideally she needed a vet the second you realised she was not ok, but that can't be changed so you have to act now.

I hope you can get her the help she needs and that she is ok :)

well its only today i realised she really wasn't ok, i noticed her behaviour wasn't the same before but now i know she isn't well. I can't get her to see a vet tonight but her appointment is at 9.30am

she passed away through the night:cry: I am devastated
I was going to do a post mortem but I am not sure yet, I have kept the appointment with the vet and taking mitzey for a check up and i am going to ask him then. I think she may have died through to stress at losing Nutty? they were so close:(

I was going to do a post mortem but I am not sure yet, I have kept the appointment with the vet and taking mitzey for a check up and i am going to ask him then. I think she may have died through to stress at losing Nutty? they were so close:(

So sorry to hear this. :(

Oh no I am so so sorry, I posted then saw your update. Thinking of you, it does sound like it was connected to her losing her mate. Binky free little bunny.x.x.

I'm so sorry shes gone :(

Bunnies go downhill so quickly and will hide signs of illness so if you see they are acting oddly they need to see a vet straight away really,glad you're going to get your other bunny checked over today .

I'm so sorry you lost Millie. Sadly, it doesn't surprise me from what you described last night. I agree that whenever you notice anything different in behaviour, that that is the time to get a bunny checked out because they hide it and do go hard and fast. I think getting your other bunny checked today is a very good thing to do.

I am very sorry for your loss. Look after yourself.

Binky Free Millie

well i am back, he said that it could be gut related.
he also echoed what you said that even if i se a slight change in their behaviour i need to get them in.

I am truely gutted, mitezy will be lonely now, i am going to the animal shelter later to get millie cremated so may have a look, i know they are crying out for people to homes their bunnies, my vet said its a good idea, i am just still really upset though

Thinking of you at the sad time, and your remaining bunny.

It's good that you are thinking of getting a new friend for Mitezy. It might feel too soon for you, but could help Mitezy cope with the loss. The Animal Shelter should be able to give you advice about a suitable partner.

I would suggest waiting and watching your bunny because all bunnies react differently to grief. Some need a friend instantly, some need time to grief and be alone and if you try to introduce anyone too quick, then they can fight, etc. Having a look is a good idea in case you do need to move fast, but try and read your bun and what s/he is telling you.

its going to be really hard as mitzey is new to me, but i will see how he is for a while, i have 2 seperate cages anyway so do you think i should get another one and put her in the seperate cage? then if mitzey looks unhappy i can introduce the new one?

The risk with that is that you might choose a friend that he won't bond with. Its better to let him choose his friend when he is ready.

My thoughts are with you as I have just lost my gorgeous girl. The best thing I ever did was to take my bun to the rescue to pick herself a husbun (after a very unsuccessful first bonding). Now my boy has a new girlfriend who has had 2 previous unsuccessful bondings!!! (keeping my fingers crossed for them as its only day 2 but looking good at the minute)

Back