• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dirt on guinea pigs fur

puppyjess12345

Mama Doe
Hey my 2 guinea pigs are both girls around 4 years old and I have always seen little specs of dirt through their fur when grooming but didn't think much of it. Could it be anything like mites, fleas etc? Or do they just need a bath? :wave:

ETA: Its more around their bum area if that helps.

Sounds like mange to me. When I had quite a few they had this. My old rubbish vet gave me syringes with somesuch in them. It cleared it all up no probs.

Sorry I cant be of more help but it was years ago:oops:

Potentially lice? Not that I know anything about piggies, but when some of my bunnies had lice it looked like bits of dirt.

It could be a fungal skin infection. Gubbins needs regular bathing to keep his skin clean and tidy and gets what looks like 'ash' in his fur. I just bath him every 6 weeks in Gorgeous Guineas Manuka and Neem shampoo and it keeps it under control.

It sounds suspiciously like lice eggs -these appear as small brown spots attached to the tips of hairs.
In older pigs they are most commonly seen around the bottom as this is the bit that is hardest for a guinea pig to groom as they get less flexible. Trimming the eggs out and treating with an ectoparasite medication to remove adults is usually sufficient.
Mange is a mite infestation - the mites in guinea pigs aren't visible and they are usually very itchy with thickened skin and hair loss.

It sounds suspiciously like lice eggs -these appear as small brown spots attached to the tips of hairs.
In older pigs they are most commonly seen around the bottom as this is the bit that is hardest for a guinea pig to groom as they get less flexible. Trimming the eggs out and treating with an ectoparasite medication to remove adults is usually sufficient.
Mange is a mite infestation - the mites in guinea pigs aren't visible and they are usually very itchy with thickened skin and hair loss.

They're not just on the tip of the fur, everywhere including the base of the haur. :?

Back