• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Burns v Oxbow Oat Hay?

Indy

Warren Scout
Is there much difference?

Im trying my two on a sample of the Oxbow Oat Hay and Indy STILL isnt fussed. Ive tried sprinkling some readigrass over it to encourage him but he'd rather just hoover that up from around the hay :lol:

Hmph!!

Is there much difference?

Im trying my two on a sample of the Oxbow Oat Hay and Indy STILL isnt fussed. Ive tried sprinkling some readigrass over it to encourage him but he'd rather just hoover that up from around the hay :lol:

Hmph!!

I feel your stress :) my Thumper will not eat hay no matter what I decorate it in :lol: I've posted a thread recently "just to be sure" and I explain it a little in there, but it pretty much says that if they wont touch hay, try grass. You probably already know Readigrass contains calcium so can't be the main food source but I use Orchard Grass by Oxbow with small quantities of readigrass (like you mentioned). Orchard Grass can be fed in unlimited quantities and is as good as hay :) Thumper loves it, which is reassuring to see for once lol. Give it a shot. If he likes it they sell massive bags. The biggest weighing 22KG and costing around £60. Expensive, but atleast you know he's happy and healthy :)

its only a treat hay tho unless your rich lol.. its about 9 quid a bag :shock: but my pair luuurrrvvvveeeee it.. i get it from hay experts :D

I feel your stress :) my Thumper will not eat hay no matter what I decorate it in :lol: I've posted a thread recently "just to be sure" and I explain it a little in there, but it pretty much says that if they wont touch hay, try grass. You probably already know Readigrass contains calcium so can't be the main food source but I use Orchard Grass by Oxbow with small quantities of readigrass (like you mentioned). Orchard Grass can be fed in unlimited quantities and is as good as hay :) Thumper loves it, which is reassuring to see for once lol. Give it a shot. If he likes it they sell massive bags. The biggest weighing 22KG and costing around £60. Expensive, but atleast you know he's happy and healthy :)

I agree with this, you could get a sample of Orchard Grass off animal magic for 50p, and if Indy likes it (which he probably will, Oscar goes mad for it!) you can get the big bags! Plus it is as good for rabbits as normal hay, and can be fed freely :)

it is pretty expensive. I use meadow hay as the main and oat hay as the "side dish"

mine only get a handful a day scattered on the top of thier normal hay.. every last bit gets eaten and the bag lasts about a month maybe slightly less..

im too skint to give more :lol:

its only a treat hay tho unless your rich lol.. its about 9 quid a bag :shock: but my pair luuurrrvvvveeeee it.. i get it from hay experts :D

Yeowch! Tho to be fair, if he eats it i dont care how much it is at the moment! I have a sample of the Orchard Grass too so will try him on that tomorrow. Ive bought him some from work to try as well... chamomile and marigold - from Bio Home Friends or something?!

Burns over Oxbow every time.

The alfalfa king oat, wheat and barley is ok - but the ONLY bits of it my two will eat are the seed heads! :roll: I must admit I do sometimes buy a bag only to throw away EVERYTHING except the seed heads as they always leave the rest, so i've given up now buying it. :lol:

A fiver bets that he'll do exactly the same :lol:

Either that or he'll love the scabbiest, stinkiest manky hay that the little girl wont touch... Highly likely!

Back