• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Home made hutch

rabbitdan

Mama Doe
has anyone got any 6ft home made hutches?

if so please could you post a pic and how much it costed to make.

i originally was going to buy a 6ft hutch from happy hutch but i would like to make one, as it would be cheaper!

I've not made one so can't give you an idea of cost but I would say don't attempt to make one unless you know what you're doing.

The materials + any equipment you need could work out more expensive than buying and you want to be sure that it's totally secure.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly with an idea of cost though, if you're confident enough to build one :)

I've not made one so can't give you an idea of cost but I would say don't attempt to make one unless you know what you're doing.

The materials + any equipment you need could work out more expensive than buying and you want to be sure that it's totally secure.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly with an idea of cost though, if you're confident enough to build one :)

my dads a builder but he's made a guinea pig hutch before so im sure he will be able to make me one ;)

This is a very rough guide for a simple single storey 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch build using 47mm x 50mm frame and 6mm plywood

singlestoreycosts.jpg

You can see some photos of how I constructed a 2 storey hutch here:
http://www.timb0.co.uk/rabbits/hutch3/

There's also some useful info and gallery here : http://www.therabbithouse.com/

consider smaller two-storey?

Sounds great however you do it. Ours is a two storey 4'6" hutch, and we have always had these - the buns seem to like the upstairs/downstairs aspect, and it provides a bit of extra exercise and a choice of where to be. Advanced warning - in the wild buns tend to poo on slight mounds within their area, which means in a two-storey hutch they are more likely to poo upstairs than downstairs. Many two-storey (and one-storey) hutches are built to human preferences, with an upstairs bedroom and the assumption of under-stairs pooing - buns don't follow the same rules.

Back