• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice please- infacol?

natandfluffs

Alpha Buck
Hello,

Can I have a quick bit of advice please- I have had my clan at the vets today for myxi jabs- all fine at check up.

However Bubbles is now refusing to eat- He's a sensitive soul so I wonder if it is stress. Its only been a couple of hours that he's been like this.

When hubby gets back from football, I'm going to get him to pick him upv if he's no better (he is sat where a big baby bump will not allow me to get!) and will syringe some critical care to tide us over- it often gets him going again. I'm also thinkin infacol but it is a new addition to my first aid kit- how much do I give?

Any other ideas?

Last edited:
Infacol is used if you suspect gassy bubbles it can help coalesce smaller ones into larger ones and hopefully make it easier for the guts to pass it through! I believe the dose is 2ml first then 1ml every couple of hours with very gentle tummy rubs!! But if you dont have any metacam handy I think Id try some fluids first, cooled boiled water then get him to run around followed by tempting with tasty herbs like parsley and basil!!

ETA: Georgypudding is quite correct he shouldn't have any syringed food if a blockage is suspected! Sounds like the mornings activities have stressed him so hopefully not a blockage! As far as Im aware fluids are fine!

Last edited:
Thanks for dosage info.

I've got a little bit of water into him already, and he is moving around fairly well, will give him his snugglesafe too. Just popped some oat hay out as that normally helps.

I'm not too happy about him being outside as its freezing but guess we'll just have to do our best because inside now is such a different temp I don't think that will help either

ETA:I don't suspect a blockage- I merely but that in as history. He's nowhere near where he was last time, and the vet had no problems with how his gut felt this morning.

If he hasn't eaten since this morning and it really is looking like a stasis episode I wouldn't leave it overnight or him in a hutch outside as he might not be able to maintain his temp! It's a tricky one! Would you be able to have him in the kitchen in a pen with the door or windows open for a few hours while you monitor him?

Both Dudley, Daisy and a couple of my friends bunnies have had these episodes! My friends are outdoors bunsters and for the sake of a few hours she's brought them in the kitchen to do some chasing around and constant wafting of parsley under the nose and syringing some luke warm boiled water so far we've been fine! I think with a true blockage the bunny is fairly non responsive and lays down and deteriorates faster!

Sorry I don't think my first post was particularly clear...

He ate at 3 when we got home from vets and was fine then; if it was since this morning, I would be panicking. As with Dudley and Daisy, he's had these episodes before (as have the others!) and tends to come out of it if I can get something into him. I'm keeping an eye on him, but I'm not too worried just yet. Was just wondering if the infacol would help things along a bit faster.

If he hasn't eaten since this morning and it really is looking like a stasis episode I wouldn't leave it overnight or him in a hutch outside as he might not be able to maintain his temp! It's a tricky one! Would you be able to have him in the kitchen in a pen with the door or windows open for a few hours while you monitor him?

This, please bring him inside. The rules for outdoor buns do not apply to hypothermic buns when they are poorly.

If you can not get him to eat he will need to see a vet tonight for pain relief and fluids ASAP :wave:

Sorry I don't think my first post was particularly clear...

He ate at 3 when we got home from vets and was fine then; if it was since this morning, I would be panicking. As with Dudley and Daisy, he's had these episodes before (as have the others!) and tends to come out of it if I can get something into him. I'm keeping an eye on him, but I'm not too worried just yet. Was just wondering if the infacol would help things along a bit faster.

Only if he has gas. However, it is pretty inert so will not do any harm to give it even if it is not needed. The advice given in Boudicca's first post is what I would advise also.
Warm him up, get some fluids into him, rub his tummy, by all means try the infacol and encourage him to eat anything you can, fresh herbs are what I would try too, also fresh picked grass/dandelions. If no improvement in an hour or so he will need to see a vet tonight for pain relief and fluids as I said above. :wave:

p.s I understand the trickiness with a bump.... they always hide in awkward corners when they are poorly that a bump just doesn't allow you to bend down into. I completely understand. Hope your OH is home soon and good luck x

Only if he has gas. However, it is pretty inert so will not do any harm to give it even if it is not needed. The advice given in Boudicca's first post is what I would advise also.
Warm him up, get some fluids into him, rub his tummy, by all means try the infacol and encourage him to eat anything you can, fresh herbs are what I would try too, also fresh picked grass/dandelions. If no improvement in an hour or so he will need to see a vet tonight for pain relief and fluids as I said above. :wave:

p.s I understand the trickiness with a bump.... they always hide in awkward corners when they are poorly that a bump just doesn't allow you to bend down into. I completely understand. Hope your OH is home soon and good luck x

Thanks... Its pretty frustrating that I can't reach him at all at the moment, which is probably not helping the anxiety or my ability to articulate myself at all well!

I've just spoken to the emergency vets, and they've just said to do what I'm doing building up to bringing him in if no improvement in a couple of hours... its hard to find the balance with a stressy bunny

Morning!

Yep, he's back to normal this morning. The little angels are pushing anything that they can around my kitchen floor.

Such a relief, thanks for all your help!

OH reckons they were just after a bunny banquet and a night in the warm :roll:

Morning!

Yep, he's back to normal this morning. The little angels are pushing anything that they can around my kitchen floor.

Such a relief, thanks for all your help!

OH reckons they were just after a bunny banquet and a night in the warm :roll:

:lol: little rascals! Im so glad he's feeling better, I hate that feeling of doom when they suddenly wont eat! glad we could be of help/reassurance :D

Back