• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flooring question.

My new pen is coming within the next couple of weeks and i need to decide what floor covering im going to use under the pen to protect my carpet.

Id like something that i can sweep easily, so towels/blankets are out of the question, apart from the odd one to snuggle up on. I think the obvious choice would then be lino.

My questions are:
a. one of my buns hates smooth floors and will not come off the door mat onto the laminate floor downstairs, will he get used to it (hes an outdoor bun and i had to line his hutch with newspaper rather than lino, they are now both going to be indoor buns)?
b. will lino sit neatly on my carpet once the pen is placed on top, or will i need some MDF or something as a base?
c. are there any other alternatives? It must be easy to sweep and i dont really want to use tarp or a ground sheet.

I hope this makes sense. x

:wave:

Last edited:
My new pen is coming within the next couple of weeks and i need to decide what floor covering im going to use under the pen to protect my carpet.

Id like something that i can sweep easily, so towels/blankets are out of the question, apart from the odd one to snuggle up on. I think the obvious choice would then be lino.

My questions are:
a. one of my buns hates smooth floors and will not come off the door mat onto the laminate floor downstairs, will he get used to it (hes an outdoor bun and i had to line his hutch with newspaper rather than lino, they are now both going to be indoor buns)?
b. will lino sit neatly on my carpet once the pen is placed on top, or will i need some MDF or something as a base?
c. are there any other alternatives? It must be easy to sweep and i dont really want to use tarp or a ground sheet.

I am interested in this information as well come on and give us your ideas :D

hi,
i had carpet tiles down but they did get messy so i recently put lino down in the shed but both buns hated it and just sat in the litter tray! i thought they would get used to it but they didn't. my 2 new buns are fine on the lino but Bud my older guy still hates it. i bought a couple of rubber backed hall runner rugs for him to play on over the top of the lino. they sweep clean and if you keep a spare set you can alternate them and throw a set in the wash when they get dirty or have 'accidents'

hi,
i had carpet tiles down but they did get messy so i recently put lino down in the shed but both buns hated it and just sat in the litter tray! i thought they would get used to it but they didn't. my 2 new buns are fine on the lino but Bud my older guy still hates it. i bought a couple of rubber backed hall runner rugs for him to play on over the top of the lino. they sweep clean and if you keep a spare set you can alternate them and throw a set in the wash when they get dirty or have 'accidents'

I cant really have them on carpet because any accidents, although they dont bother me, they do annoy the hell out of my parents. They then have to go to the dry cleaners or take them to work to clean as they refuse to put bunny things in our washing machine.

Vinyl might be an option, how much is it compared to lino?

I got offcuts pretty cheaply from the carpet shop - it's quite rough textured and they seem to like it.
What about these kids playmats that look like a big foam jigsaw with letters etc on it - I've seen pictures of them in some peoples shed pictures posted on line ?

I got offcuts pretty cheaply from the carpet shop - it's quite rough textured and they seem to like it.
What about these kids playmats that look like a big foam jigsaw with letters etc on it - I've seen pictures of them in some peoples shed pictures posted on line ?

Funny you should say that, i think ive got some in the shed somewhere. It wont be much use now, but it was pretty cheap from B&Q. I think it becomes a little porus over time though, but its cheap to replace, the buns dont mind walking on it and its quite soft too.

I cant believe it didnt cross my mind, i used to use it to protect mums carpet when i brought them in the house! Im a ditz at times!! :roll:

:thumb: Thanks!

My questions are:

We have textured lino - they slip a bit when they get excited and go round my feet in circles but most of the time they're fine on it. Whenever we've used lino in an enclosure we've had wood underneath and the the lino sandwich between that and wooden battening round the edges. This stops it moving and stops then being able to get to the edges to chew it. As for alternatives I know some people use stable matting.

We have textured lino - they slip a bit when they get excited and go round my feet in circles but most of the time they're fine on it. Whenever we've used lino in an enclosure we've had wood underneath and the the lino sandwich between that and wooden battening round the edges. This stops it moving and stops then being able to get to the edges to chew it. As for alternatives I know some people use stable matting.

I had considered this too, but whenever ive used stable matting with horses ive had on loan, they're a nightmare to sweep. Hay LOVES to stick to it! :roll:

The vinyl flooring in my kitchen is totally non-slip even when liquid is spilt on it, its quite textured so maybe this would be suitable?

Do a search for POLYSAFE NON SLIP VINYL there are lots of similar ones that are the same

The vinyl flooring in my kitchen is totally non-slip even when liquid is spilt on it, its quite textured so maybe this would be suitable?

Do a search for POLYSAFE NON SLIP VINYL there are lots of similar ones that are the same

Yeah i think ive seen it, it looks pretty good, although id have to spend more money on buying a base to sit it on :|

I think im going to go with the mats as they act as a good base to stand the pen on too. I think the floor in my alcove is wonky! :?

Back