• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

why are people so nasty about bunnys

jill

Warren Scout
every time i say i have 11 bunnys to some people they say i should kill them or have them in a pie :roll: i always say they should, do that to some people its just horrible that bunnys are seen as nothing
to some people :censored::censored: even my other half at times says i should get rid of them all not a chance in hell

People who don't have rabbits don't get what makes them so special. I know I didn't and I wasn't planning on ever getting bunnies, then one day I took Maia on a whim (I know, you're not supposed to do that with pets!:no:) and I never turned back.
Therefore, they think they're allowed to crack stupid unfunny oven jokes.
I just ignore them or say "What about I did that with your cat?"

Because alot of the population are ignorant morons, to be honest.

Could be worse, you could be one of them!

Hun, people are negative full stop. If you had 11 kids theyd comment on it also, anything out of the ordinary & people love to criticise!

I have 5 dogs & people think im mad!

Try to take no notice, i get this all the time at work but i just laugh with them (even if its not funny really) they know what im like so i dont care, except when someone sent me an email containing images of guinea pig kebabs:evil::censored: i was not a happy bunny (excuse the pun).

If anyone says things like that about me I usually come back with "funny I think the same about your dog/cat/child - I hear they taste real nice when slow cooked!" :twisted:
That usually frreaks them out enough to not say things like that again.

Try to take no notice, i get this all the time at work but i just laugh with them

Ive managed to convert everyone in my office, I show them daft pics of what Rodge & Orla get upto & everyone is fascinated that you can litter train rabbits.

I think if you act lighthearted about jokes people soon get bored. No one at my work will ever get a rabbit after I told them all the care they need, so I feel like ive educated them somehow! :lol:

Hun, people are negative full stop. If you had 11 kids theyd comment on it also, anything out of the ordinary & people love to criticise!
this exactly.

I have 12 pets and I'm looking at getting a rescue dog. I've had so many people tell me I don't need any more pets and give me a hard time about it.
As long as all your animals are well looked after and you're happy I don't understand why it matters.

I had a lot of pie jokes when I got Eli because he's such a big bunny so I just laugh along.
It's usually only because people are trying to make conversation about the rabbits and, unfortunately, all they can think of to say are cliched, overused jokes.

I do have a theory forming on this.

If you think of the rabbits most people are used to, stuck in a hutch, smelly, hormonal, pent up and quite frankly probably driven insane through neglect. Why on earth would you want to have 11 of them?

It takes a long time to get to know what a bun can be.

When I had a gas man in, he thought I was nuts and informed me of how to save on vet bills. (Not nice.) I asked him to come and feed them. You could see he was surprised with how diffrent they are to regular buns.

Just my thoughts anyway:oops:

We had a police man in the house on Saturday who seemed very shocked at seeing a rabbit running round the living room :lol:

If you think of the rabbits most people are used to, stuck in a hutch, smelly, hormonal, pent up and quite frankly probably driven insane through neglect. Why on earth would you want to have 11 of them?

When I had a gas man in, he thought I was nuts and informed me of how to save on vet bills. (Not nice.) I asked him to come and feed them. You could see he was surprised with how diffrent they are to regular buns.

i think your right... when Ste's moms buns just lived in a hutch none was interested in them :cry: now they can be seen for the amazing souls they are running free in the enclosure stes step dad loves them to bits and even sits on the floor so they can jump about him. he knows the fave food of each of them etc.

my mom never realised how great buns were until she met mine and she really really enjoyed having them as house guests :D

If anyone says things like that about me I usually come back with "funny I think the same about your dog/cat/child - I hear they taste real nice when slow cooked!" :twisted:

I'm going to use this next time. Thanks :thumb:

Most of my friends wondered why I got a rabbit when we got Oscar, but the ones who have visited him love it when he runs up sniffing their feet, or just binky-ing round the front room. Even I was surprised just how much fun it would be having him around :D I just ignore the people who want to turn him into a pie, they don't know what they're missing!

Make sure you do it in your best Hannibal Lector voice for added effect.:p

I agree with this. People are always so surprised when I say mine have a whole room. 'Don't they poo and wee everywhere?' 'No, they're litter trained, they're really good' 'You can litter train rabbits?' *incredulous look* 'Yes, they're really clean animals - no fleas, no nasties that you tend to get with cats and dogs, why don't you come and see them?'

Then when they see them they are surprised. Ok so we get a bit of hay sprinkled over the floor but that's cos my lionheads are very fluffy and end up carrying it around with them but even on days I haven't swept they are still very tidy. I'm going to remember that about feeding them, that's a nice point to show people. Sometimes I'll get on the floor and let people see how they come straight up to me. My lops are fabulous in this regard cos they love anybody and everybody.

I'm quite fortunate though in that most of my friends are tactful and the one or two that aren't I know well enough to just laugh it off. I know they're playing around and totally not serious at all, they all know how much the bunnies mean to me.

Oh don't let it get you down, just smile at them and as you smile just imagine the people that say such nasty things to you cooking on high nicely in an oven in a pie with their heads stuck out of the top of the pastry or them boiling in a stew.
We have had it all...I could write a book of nasty comment's about our rabbits but I try and give as good back but louder.
This is always going to happen because sadly not everyone loves bunnies as much as we all do.

Its not just bunnies altho our house mate did say he was going to turn my bunnies into stew im not worried he cant cook lol, but i had a blue lobster he was everything to me used to come when i called his name and i could hand feed him when he died i cried for days and people kept telling me to cook him up and eat him i nearly knocked someone out for that and told them that next time they were hungry just to cook up their fav pet and eat it!

Back