• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonded pairs where only one has been neutered

Bonded pairs are one or both neutered

• Both neutered

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • male neutered female not speyed

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • female speyed male not neutered

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters

sally1974

Wise Old Thumper
Going on from my previous post about bonding and after doing a search on here I wondered how many people have a bonded pair where either the male or the female hasn't been neutered. My male has been neutered but my female hasn't yet. She is booked in for next month.

Mable wasn't neutered yet when I bonded her and Charlie. I was going to wait but they loved each other so much that I couldn't not let them live together when they even wanted to snuggle through the bars of the cages

Walter was neutered but Nora wasn't spayed when I got them as the rescue didn't spay girlies. Nora was probably about 2.5 when she was spayed as I had loads of problems with them and never had a good time to do it!

Neither of my boys are done. They each have a wifey and the two pairs are separate from each other. They get along fine. The only reason I would consider getting the boys done is if I tried a foursome. Since the bonds are good and the boys happy and healthy I see no reason to put them through a pointless life threatening (all surgery is) proceedure.

All me rabbits are neutered/spayed except Wish who is notwell enough. I didn't, however, want her to be alone, so she is part of a trio.

Three of my girls were bonded to their husbuns when they were unspayed but as soon as they were old enough the all had the op. It does require careful monitoring when the get to about the right age tho as if left too long they can start to harrass the males. My other girl came to me as an adult and there was no way I'd attempt to bond her until she'd had the op as she'd of been far too hormonal.

The only time I'd ever consider a long term bonded pair with only one neutered was if one had a medical problem and would not survive the operation.

Neither of my boys are done. They each have a wifey and the two pairs are separate from each other. They get along fine. The only reason I would consider getting the boys done is if I tried a foursome. Since the bonds are good and the boys happy and healthy I see no reason to put them through a pointless life threatening (all surgery is) proceedure.

Just out of interest do you ever have a problem with your males spraying or territorial behaviour?

personally ive only had the both done pair..

but Stes mom has a group consisting of two adult females and some half wild babies.. eventually all will be spayed but so far only the one little lad has been, he is to be re-introduced to the ladies 8th of December. so far no trouble they all get on wonderfully :love:

When Jasmine was still alive I had Jasmine and Diesel together ,Jasmine wasn't spayed and they were quite happy together.

I've had other pairs where the female was too young to spay at first but was done later.

Just out of interest do you ever have a problem with your males spraying or territorial behaviour?

Jasper sprays a bit when he's excited (feeding times and when they get the grass part of the run opened up) They're outside so it doesn't matter. Carlisle never has. Neither is territorial at all.

Lilly moved herself in to Carlisles shed and he wasn't bothered in the slightest I didn't even have to bond them they did it themselves.

Jasper loves me being in his run I can just about get in there its taller than most being homemade but i still have to duck as its not that tall. He jumps all over me and licks me for nose rubs.

I know it can be a problem but I think i've been lucky in the fact my boys are sweet and relaxed.

Thank you. I was just curious, My first bun Bluebell never dispayed any hormonal behaviour either and I only got him neutered primarily because I wanted to get him a wifebun. Most my other lads have sprayed terribly though and it was a sigh of relief when they could be neutered. I don't mind the mess as they are outdoor buns but most the spraying was aimed at me and that I do take offence at. :lol:

Thank you. I was just curious, My first bun Bluebell never dispayed any hormonal behaviour either and I only got him neutered primarily because I wanted to get him a wifebun. Most my other lads have sprayed terribly though and it was a sigh of relief when they could be neutered. I don't mind the mess as they are outdoor buns but most the spraying was aimed at me and that I do take offence at. :lol:

I suppose that could get a bit yucky :lol:

I never realised but I'm very lucky with my boys then although Dexter gets wet quite often :lol:

Rodge is neutered & Orla will be spayed in January when she is 6 months. Im really worried though as shes so tiny, im scared ill lose her. :(

I measured her the other day....just over 25cm. :shock:

Everyone spayed/neutered now, but I have added girls to groups pre-spay before. Not too-feisty ones though:D

Every bun is spayed/neutered now but I did bond Peter and Posy when Posy was too young to be spayed. It was a very easy bond but everything changed when her hormones kicked in and they had a huge fight. I had to separate them until she had been spayed and recovered, very stressful for everyone. I know some people have had success bonding this way but it is not something I will do again.

i had a neutered male with an unspayed female for nearly 2 years as she had problems meaning i couldn't get her done. she since died and i got 2 females who are just coming up to the age where i can have them done. they have been with the male for 4 months now but one is getting fiesty and terratorial so i am getting her done asap.
in all but one of my pairs i have had them both done.
it does keep them in harmony if they are all done and their are the health benefits too, especially in the females.

I have decided to sperate them until Harper has been done, I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if something happened.

I have 2 m/f bonds at the moment with the females un neutered, one is booked in next month and the other for January but she's still tiny, although almost two years old :(

Also have had it the other way round while waiting for the boys op, never had a problem yet :)

Back