• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my dustfreehay delivery just arrived...*got next lot*

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
... a day later than the email said, but i don't know where they have been keeping it, but all the hay is wet! i'm not happy. can i still feed it? :?

it's the company delivery people that have probably stored it wrong, and all their drivers are really unprofessional, moaning that it takes up too much space in the van and he was going to leave it in the ******* garden if we weren't in because it's in the way! :shock:

and dustfreehay doesn't have the soft at the minute, it's a mix and i was hoping it would be quite soft but it's not, so don't know what to do for the piggies bedding now. and the sacks are so much smaller and it's not packed in there now, there's loads less than there used to be. but i can't get any other as their main hay, they have to have that one. just costs so much when i'm buying two ten bales a month. used to be one a month it lasted. :(

that's my rant for the day! :oops:

Last edited:
I'd email or call Norman and let him know of the problem, he is really nice and will put things right for you if you let him know what is wrong.

I wouldn't feed it, it could go mouldy quickly and that can be dangerous. I would e-mail them and complain about the delivery company. Is the hay in Hessian bags?

i've emailed dustfreehay.

i really don't need this today. i've got nothing to give them except burns green oat hay and i didn't want to feed that yet as matt has just had gas.

why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

eta: the stalky is in hessian sacks and the 'soft'/mix is in the polyprop sacks. both are wet.

ooh, just remembered i got some hay for the secret santa, i'll unwrap that for now.

they've got the secret santa hay. least it's meadow hay, and luckily i've got some burns green oat hay and i got some timothy hay the other day. so the piggies will be ok, apart from the odd sneezing they do with any hay other than the dustfreehay..

just worried about bisc and matt. they aren't keen on the meadow hay i've got here, so have mixed it with some green oat hay and hope matt doesn't get gas again.

and their breathing will definitely get worse now aswell with loads of these dustier hays. :(

and breathe... :lol: i'm so mad.. :evil:

Last edited:
My last lot of stalky dust free was in those white plastic sacks and each one Ive opened so far feels slightly damp :? The bunnys are still happily munching it tho, but I do feel a bit uneasy about it!

norman emailed me and said the hay will be fine. it will just feel wet/damp because it's foggy and that outside... :? hope he is right..

That seems a bit suspect - not the first time I've seen something on here from that company I've thought was a bit off. :? I wouldn't personally, I've chucked away quarter of a bale before now cos water got to it.

Sorry I can't offer any advice regarding feeding the hay but didn't want to just ignore. I have noticed that the sacks are MUCH smaller now too :( Its not nearly as compacted and the sacks are really skinny too!

I hope the buns are ok with their breathing and I hope someone comes along soon with some advice about the damp hay :)

That seems a bit suspect - not the first time I've seen something on here from that company I've thought was a bit off. :? I wouldn't personally, I've chucked away quarter of a bale before now cos water got to it.

i don't know what to do now because they obviously aren't going to send more to replace it. :( and bisc and matt have to have this hay. even maisie is sneezing with the other hay.

maybe he thinks i'm trying to get free hay. :( but i know the difference between damp/cold and damp/wet. that's £40 just gone now.

i don't know what to do now because they obviously aren't going to send more to replace it. :( and bisc and matt have to have this hay. even maisie is sneezing with the other hay.

maybe he thinks i'm trying to get free hay. :( but i know the difference between damp/cold and damp/wet. that's £40 just gone now.

I'd get back on to them myself and say that that isn't good enough and that wet hay is just not suitable and that maybe he needs to rethink his storage.

I'd be careful with damp/ wet hay . I lost my beautiful Fizz about 5 weeks ago and nearly lost her husbun aswell, my vet thought it could of been the hay, it had been kept for a few weeks under plastic sheeting and may of gone mouldy.
It may not of been the hay but I chucked it all out just to be on the safe side.

i've emailed again saying it isn't damp/cold, it is actually wet and i cannot use it.

it was sat in the manchester warehouse or whatever and delivered a day late and i think it is them that haven't stored it correctly. they aren't a nice company really, the drivers always swear and complain about the size of the hay parcel.. :roll:

i've asked if norman would contact the delivery company and get back to me and send a replacement. i don't know if they will. i really hope so because i'm already going to have to wait a few days now to get more, and spend another £40 for it.

i just can't risk feeding it.

I'd be careful with damp/ wet hay . I lost my beautiful Fizz about 5 weeks ago and nearly lost her husbun aswell, my vet thought it could of been the hay, it had been kept for a few weeks under plastic sheeting and may of gone mouldy.
It may not of been the hay but I chucked it all out just to be on the safe side.

:( sorry about fizz

it's not worth the risk is it, i'm not going to use it. x

i've emailed again saying it isn't damp/cold, it is actually wet and i cannot use it.

it was sat in the manchester warehouse or whatever and delivered a day late and i think it is them that haven't stored it correctly. they aren't a nice company really, the drivers always swear and complain about the size of the hay parcel.. :roll:

i've asked if norman would contact the delivery company and get back to me and send a replacement. i don't know if they will. i really hope so because i'm already going to have to wait a few days now to get more, and spend another £40 for it.

i just can't risk feeding it.

Hopefully he'll refund you or send some more out. I used to use him but stopped when my local farm started stocking really good hay for £3.50 a bale . I emailed him once when i had some hay off him which didn't seem it's usual quality( buns refused to eat) and he sent me a sack of stalky and fine free of charge.

Hopefully he'll refund you or send some more out. I used to use him but stopped when my local farm started stocking really good hay for £3.50 a bale . I emailed him once when i had some hay off him which didn't seem it's usual quality( buns refused to eat) and he sent me a sack of stalky and fine free of charge.

when the delivery company mixed things up and sent my hay on the wrong van and it ended up miles away, and then got lost, norman sent out a replacement.

hope he will this time. :)

I use the bags of Meadow Hay for litter trays at £3.00 a bag and then Oxbow Orchard for eating. The service from Hay Experts is great and I get it within a couple of days at the exact time they say it will be delivered. If you speak to Lisa, Im sure she will get an order out to asap to tied you over until this wet hay issue is resolved.

I use the bags of Meadow Hay for litter trays at £3.00 a bag and then Oxbow Orchard for eating. The service from Hay Experts is great and I get it within a couple of days at the exact time they say it will be delivered. If you speak to Lisa, Im sure she will get an order out to asap to tied you over until this wet hay issue is resolved.

^^ This exactly.

I know that Lisa has basic meadow available and will get it sent out asap, especially if you tell her that it's 'urgent'.

As far as damp hay is concerned, I would be concerned about using it too. It is quite hard to distinguish between wet and just coldydamp in cold weather but if you are at all concerned I'd err on the side of caution.

Our vet has often suggested damp hay as the cause for some health issues in client's rabbits - the mould spores being a major problem and now I am extra cautious with my own storage. We've spoken about it recently and he stresses that it's very important for hay to breath so storage needs to have air flow - if it doesn't if it's damp in cold weather, it just has no chance of recovering at all. At least with some air flow, it can be 'blowdried' somewhat - farm haystacks being a good example - they aren't totally closed in normally.

Hope you get it sorted.

I got a 10 bale delivery recently and it was for stalky and came in the plastic polyp bags. The hay is dry but the quality not as good as usual which Norman said is due to different parts of the fields etc.

Personally, if I had wet hay I would not feed it to the rabbits. I would chase Norman up again and tell him you really need it replaced and are happy for him to take these bags back as proof. You are not asking anything unreasonable.

Back