• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bit of advice please help

sally1974

Wise Old Thumper
Yesterday I bonded my two rabbits together, this morning I went to check on them and there was tufts of fur lying around. They were both fine in themselves no scratches bites or anything. Is this normal? I was just watching them a few minutes ago and noticed Harper my female kept going next to Elliot and taking a bit of fur. They ate all of their dinner and seem fine am I just panicking? My hubby said if they really didn't like each other there would of been bites etc.

I thought it was best to get both done - for health as well as temperament reasons?

Personally I won't bond any bunnies that haven't been neutered and have had time to allow the hormones to settle. In my experience (not from doing it but seeing it in others), even if the buns do get on initially it's only a matter of time before it goes wrong.

I would strongly recommend you don't proceed until the buns have both been done or you risk injury, if not during, after the process and also if it doesn't work, then you will have little chance of making it work later (post neuter) if they have a memory of each other fighting.

Yesterday I bonded my two rabbits together, this morning I went to check on them and there was tufts of fur lying around. They were both fine in themselves no scratches bites or anything. Is this normal? I was just watching them a few minutes ago and noticed Harper my female kept going next to Elliot and taking a bit of fur. They ate all of their dinner and seem fine am I just panicking? My hubby said if they really didn't like each other there would of been bites etc.

So - when you first fell for your boyfriend/OH it was not all plain sailing was it? There were niggles and odd movements/habits that took some getting used to - yes you were in love and everything was wonderful but there were still moments of irritation and occassional sharp words perhaps - I mean WHO WAS this person who you now shared your life with 24/7 ????!!!

So think of that from the bunny perspective - yes they bonded - but its still early days and they will take a while to get used to each others ways and movements and sounds and stuff and sorting out who is boss.

I find there are usually small quibbles and fluff pulling as they settle and get used to each other . . . .

hope that helps

If she is just randomly pulling fur from Elliot- ie it's not being done when she's chasing him etc then it may be the first sign of her having a pseudopregnancy.
If she is about 5-7 months old the presence of Elliot may have triggered ovulation. So she is pulling fur in a 'nesting' way. If this is the case dont be surprised to find that she actually builds a nest and runs around with huge clumps of hay in her mouth. Should it be the onset of a pseudopregnancy you will need to be extra vigilant as she may be vey grumpy toward Elliot if he tries it on so to speak.

Personally I won't bond any bunnies that haven't been neutered and have had time to allow the hormones to settle. In my experience (not from doing it but seeing it in others), even if the buns do get on initially it's only a matter of time before it goes wrong.

I would strongly recommend you don't proceed until the buns have both been done or you risk injury, if not during, after the process and also if it doesn't work, then you will have little chance of making it work later (post neuter) if they have a memory of each other fighting.

I have done it quite often with no problems - but it is true they are a bit more flighty.

Thank you for all your advice. It has got me a bit worried now after reading some of the replies. should I seperate them?

I have done it quite often with no problems - but it is true they are a bit more flighty.

Ah but you are an experienced bunny lady Twigs with a good amount of hands on experience, knowledge and you'd know how to spot the problems if and when they arose. When I am bonding for folks, the chances are they won't know how to manage this kind of bond when it goes home and so I can't risk it breaking down as a result. If I am bonding a rescue bunny I have to make sure that there is no chance of things going pearshaped so I will not take the risk of hormanal behaviour taking over when the bunnies go home.

For someone who may be keen to try a bonding for themselves, but who isn't confident in recognising normal bonding behaviour, I just woudln't recommend it at all.

Thank you for all your advice. It has got me a bit worried now after reading some of the replies. should I seperate them?

Only if you have major concerns and can't watch them for a good few days before you have to leave them alone. You just have to avoid the risk of injury. If you can get past the first few days and they seem loved up, you could try and keep them together (there are obviously loads of people who keep one neutered with an unneutered bun successfully) but it has to depend on how confident and happy you are to manage the bonding, which carries on for days, weeks and even months - ever changing. As Twigs has already said, it's like human relationship - ebb and flow!

Only if you have major concerns and can't watch them for a good few days before you have to leave them alone. You just have to avoid the risk of injury. If you can get past the first few days and they seem loved up, you could try and keep them together (there are obviously loads of people who keep one neutered with an unneutered bun successfully) but it has to depend on how confident and happy you are to manage the bonding, which carries on for days, weeks and even months - ever changing. As Twigs has already said, it's like human relationship - ebb and flow!

Thank you:wave: I think I am pretty confident they seem quite happy in themselves just the odd bit of fur pulling but no nastiness. I will make sure I watch them closely xxx

Thank you:wave: I think I am pretty confident they seem quite happy in themselves just the odd bit of fur pulling but no nastiness. I will make sure I watch them closely xxx

Bit of fur pulling is quite normal in neutered pairs too. The pair I am doing this week have had a bit over the last 12 hours, but I am hopeful that they will go home together at the end of the week.

i found loads of tuftys in the first few weeks of Alvin and Holly.. i think with them it was him trying to hump.. he still bites her bum even now and they are both done and a very happy couple, i think me invading thier space sets him off :wave:

Back